Ask a question Report

Batch files-space problem [Solved]

tantalus - Latest answer on Sep 2, 2010 06:53AM
I have a problem with copying with batch files. When the source and/or destination in the xcopy command has space in itself, it won't copy. It reports "Invalid number of parameters". For example, the source is C:/NewFolder/*.* Now it copies. But if the destination is C:/New Folder/*.* it won't copy any more. Is there any sign that I can put instead of space and that the batch file recognises it as space? I assume that there is a solution for this. Please help. Thank you
Read more 

moins plus
use double quotes around the source:

copy "C:/NewFolder/*.*"
ghack2k- Dec 17, 2008 03:49PM
Thank YOU! : )
Sarenzor- Jul 23, 2010 03:21AM
what if i want to add double quotes to a variable? I do not know the path as it is selected by a user, hence i cant put it directly to the source.
E.g string selected3 = dialog.filename

All i have is selected3 but i have the spacing problem, so how do i add in the double quotes then?
guset- Sep 2, 2010 06:53AM
thanks a lot
Add comment
moins plus
thanx u !!!!!!!!!! i didn't know what was wrong in my command line. I searched this answer for a long time it's working ;) the "space" issue was resolved now thanx to you. gj
Add comment
This document entitled « Batch files-space problem » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.