Use of '@' in formulae

Solved
Quarterp Posts 6 Registration date Thursday June 9, 2016 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2016 - Updated on Sep 16, 2019 at 03:54 AM
Quarterp Posts 6 Registration date Thursday June 9, 2016 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2016 - Jun 10, 2016 at 04:17 AM
Hi,

I have received a spreadsheet with cells in column E containing the following formula
[@[Retail Price]]/[@[Pack Size]]*100

Where the "Retail Price" and "Pack Size" are headings for columns C and D.

That formula is repeated exactly in all cells in column E and it does the calculation for each row based on the content of the same row cells C and D.

I've never come across the use of '@' like this and can find nothing elsewhere.

It seems to say "Find the Heading and use the contents of the cell in that column corresponding to this row".

Unfortunately, the supplier of this spreadsheet doesn't know about it and we cannot contact the author.

Can anyone shed any light on this function?

Thank you.
Related:

2 responses

vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Jun 10, 2016 at 01:43 AM
Hello Quarterp,

You have been doing your research! Good to see.

Well, I've been educated also! But I wonder if the use of SUMIF, SUMIFS OR SUMPRODUCTS would do the task also. There's a homework exercise for you.
Maybe create a copy of your work book and try the SUMIF, SUMIFS OR SUMPRODUCT formulae. You can use named ranges in those types of functions. But then again, if your original formulae still work, why bother? It may be best to just understand them and file that understanding to the back of your mind.

Anyway, thanks for supplying the various links. It was interesting reading (I know, I need to get a life!).

Good hunting Quarterp!

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Quarterp Posts 6 Registration date Thursday June 9, 2016 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2016
Jun 10, 2016 at 04:17 AM
OK - I'll have a look at the SUM type functions.
Thanks for your communications - much appreciated.