All my 2.0 USB ports stopped working

Closed
Pablejus Posts 1 Registration date Monday July 11, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 11, 2016 - Jul 11, 2016 at 08:14 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jul 12, 2016 at 03:09 AM
So, today without previous warning all my devices connected to my computer's 2.0 ports started working defectively. They barely work (sometimes) and I cannot think of something that could have caused this. My computer has 6 2.0 usb ports and a single 3.0 so this is a pretty big issue for me.

The devices I use are the following:
- An XBOX 360 controller
- A G300 Logitech gaming mouse
- A K290 Logitech keyboard
- An Asus "strix" adapter for my headset/speakers

I usually have the adapter in the USB 3.0 port for no special reason, but after some testing I could find out that all 4 of my devices worked perfectly when plugged to the 3.0 while none worked with ANY of the 6 different 2.0 USB ports.

I would appreciate any help since I find it a really strange issue. Don't hesitate in asking any more information on my settings or anything if you think it is needed.

Thanks
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jul 12, 2016 at 03:09 AM
Hi Pablejus,

I guess some of these 6 ports are on the front and the other part on back of the case. A sudden port issues may indicate a hardware problem. I strongly recommend you to test the devices while in Safe Mode. Open Device Manager and check the USB Hubs. If there is no error message, uninstall the Hubs and restart the PC. Check again if the ports are working. If they are not, open the motherboard manufacturer’s web page and download the updated USB drivers.

Hope this helps.