Black screen on dell laptop

Closed
Marie - Dec 18, 2016 at 01:56 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Dec 20, 2016 at 11:33 AM
Hello, It is turning on and then the screen is going blank and black after showing the windows logo
I push it the f8 button over and over and all I get is the log in windows they want my pass word to log in so I turn my laptop off and restrart the pc then I hit the f8 button over and over I hit esc and keep hittin the f8 button I still don't get advance options or anything coming up to start the pc in safe mode please help thankyou

Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Dec 20, 2016 at 11:33 AM
Hey there Marie,

What do you mean by black screen of the laptop? Do you see the cursor or the display remains completely black after restart? In situations like this it's recommended connecting the laptop to an external monitor to see will there be any video signal going out from the laptop. If it does go out, then there's a need for LCD inverter replacement. If there's nothing showing either on external monitor nor display, but the fans are still working, the problem that you have may be due to the failure of the video chip.
The graphics processor which is responsible for video signal transmission get unsolders, the thermic paste goes away and it gets unsoldered, therefore the screen doesn't show anything. This is happening sometimes, after much of a use and less cooling. If you possess knowledge of notebooks' hardware you can change the paste yourself by opening the laptop and check if the chipset that is next to the processor has got unsoldered or you can bring your laptop to a technician to get it soldered again.

Hope this helps.