Restarting often get black screen saying no operating system

Closed
dudapples - Updated by Ambucias on 18/01/17 at 05:20 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Jan 18, 2017 at 11:14 AM
Hello, i was watching a movie on my laptop(windows7) the other night when everything froze big time.. couldnt unfreeze from task manager so i manually shut it down. Upon rebooting my computer was still frozen taking around 10 mins to respond to each click. I eventually got into my recovery and reset to factory settings wiping my c drive.. this usually solves any problems however after restoring my comp is still running a bit slow. Some updates are working and some are failing.. when restarting i now often get a black screen saying no operating system found, or sometimes disc error and sometimes it boots fine. I have run disk check but no issues found!
The main problem now is that although i have internet connection and my laptop is connected to it with full signal, but my browser isnt working!
It is ie8 but i have had no updates for ie and it just wont work. Without internet access i am struggling to think what to do to fix this. I have followed a few online fixes for browser not working but nothing has helped!
Would greatly appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer?
Thanks!

Would like to add that my laptop is running much slower than before.. hd movies are all jumpy now and games i have always played with no problem are now too jittery to even play.. my ram and cpu and hdd seem to be ok when i run tests but something has gone seriously wrong somewhere.
Thanks again!

Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Jan 18, 2017 at 11:14 AM
Hello dudapples,

Have you tried to enter the BIOS and check where is the HDD put on the boot sequence order. If the drive is set on the first place at the boot priority, you have to set it manually. If it is there, try to boot from it and select the option to boot into Safe mode. While running in Safe mode, check if there's any program running in the background that's causing this constant lag. Aslo, scan the HDD against viruses and malware and delete all temporary files and folders.
If you have the installation CD, my ideas is to boot from it and on the initial screen to open the Command prompt. There, you must type the following command and press Enter:
sfc /scannow

Hope this helps.