Black monitor after 3 beeps while system is working

Closed
amir - Sep 3, 2017 at 12:29 PM
 amir - Sep 3, 2017 at 11:23 PM
Hello,

I left my Dell Laptop Studio 1557 in sleep mode and when I turned it on, I heard 3 beeps( first one higher) then monitor stayed completely black while I could hear that CPU fan is working and after a while I heard the windows alert and other alerts which regularly I had when system came up. I changed the RAMs and I heard 4 beeps then kept same as before. Also pushed D button while restarting and saw different colours on Monitor. Could it be a VGA problem? I would appreciate if you could help me.

Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Sep 3, 2017 at 05:02 PM
Hi

The four beeps definitively indicate a memory failure.

Ensure that your ram sticks and slots are clean, perhaps that a brand new stick will do.

However the 3 beeps meant a system board failure which may point to the slots.

Good luck
Hi Ambucias,

Thank you so much for your reply. I wonder when I cleaned the slots nothing happened and monitor is still black. Plus, I can hear Windows's sound and other software popped up but invisible.

Thanks
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Sep 3, 2017 at 05:39 PM
Now you tell me! Interesting, as we say, but only in Canada.

How did you managed to get other software to open when you have a black screen?

If you look at your screen at a wide angle or sharp angle see if you get a glimpse of your desktop.

You tell me that you can hear Windows and other software, since I can't get my hands on your machine, my educated guess is that your back lights are fried.

Cheers
amir > Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023
Updated on Sep 3, 2017 at 05:58 PM
Yes, I can hear all sounds from my laptop same as before(Windows 7, Antivirus, and specific automatic software pop-ups), of course after a few minutes while monitor is black

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

All the best
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169 > amir
Sep 3, 2017 at 06:21 PM
I am really astonished that you can hear your antivirus. What kind of sound does it make?

I have Kaspersky and it's total silence as a matter of a fact I have not heard a windows sound since Windows 98.

You are special.
Actually, before this problem happens, when my system came up because of some discrepancy in drivers, automatically some windows popped up with some beeps which I knew them. And one of them was one alert from my antivirus which I was used to it. Mostly I confront with unexperienced problems!!!!

Thank you so much