Toshiba Satellite Black Screen with Logo Only

Closed
Desperate - Updated on Sep 15, 2017 at 10:35 AM
 Blocked Profile - Sep 17, 2017 at 04:18 PM
Hello,

PLease help!!

Okay, my Toshiba Satellite U945-S4390 has been giving me a really hard time. When I kpower it up, it only shows the TOSHIBA screen with the F2 and F12 options, but other than that, it says...."Reboot and select proper Boot device or InsertBoot Mdia in selected Boot device and press any key". after that, nothing else happens. There's only a black screen, not even a cursor or anything. Nothing else happens, even though I've tried just about everything I could find. Removing all wire and battery, ESC 0, etc.

Please help, I'm desperate!
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Sep 15, 2017 at 03:13 PM
OK, when the F2 option comes up, select it. You should be in the BIOS. Now, under boot options, what is listed? If there are no entries the your HDD has died, which is why there is no bootable drive.

If it is listed, make certain it is the primary boot device. If all of this scares you, take it to a qualified technician. The fact that it boots to tell you that there is no boot, that is A GOOD THING!
Hi Walter.

Thank you for the quick response.

It does show 2 drives, however I finally gave up and took it into a licensed repair shop. They said both my HD were dead! If they are both dead how is it able to still boots to tell me there is no ? Confused.....they want $150 to install the HD and SW.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Sep 16, 2017 at 04:54 PM
Hi,

Mark (not Walter) was right on the plate when he wrote: If there are no entries the your HDD has died. It was confirmed by the technician at the repair shop.

Nice work Mark
Thank you!

Let Walter explain it for you:

Walter writes:
"There are actually a number of different 'stages' a computer needs to go though, before it offers the "Presentation" to the end user." Walter continues:
"One of the first stages is establishing the 'Physical Layer' of computing. This can even be segmented into the Hardware, and Operating System. The operating system resides on a hard drive. The hard drive needs to be established and initialized by the BIOS first, before it can be read, and loaded onto the 'Platform'."

Walter then closes with:
"In your circumstance, it sounds like the BIOS was loading up, and not finding the Hard Drive to Load the Operating system onto Platform. It was the one communicating to you that your drive was failed. the BIOS is already on the motherboard. It loads the Operating system and all other hardware!"

Wow, what simple, although very simple explanation Walter! Great Job!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible! -Walter Elias Disney