WD hard disk is not working

Closed
Suren454 Posts 1 Registration date Monday 18 September 2017 Status Member Last seen 19 September 2017 - 18 Sep 2017 à 15:53
RolandJS Posts 21 Registration date Saturday 26 August 2017 Status Member Last seen 19 October 2017 - 20 Sep 2017 à 12:29
Hi ,
I tried the solution That is previously suggested. However, there's no "Change Drive Letter... nor "Add" upon right clicking.
Upon opening the diskmgmt.msc, a pop-up window says "You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Mngt can access it" and showing the page for MRB or GUIP. Trying to do that also I am getting error.
And at the bottom, DISK 1 says, "unknown/ not initialized"
Although upon right click and properties, the name of the HDD (My Passport ultra) may be read...
Thanks in advance!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19528 Registration date Wednesday 8 October 2008 Status Contributor Last seen 15 June 2019 1,824
19 Sep 2017 à 19:24
I suggest you try using the drive on another computer. If it fails on the 2nd computer then it's probably a hardware problem with the drive or the USB controller. Some generations of WD external drives can have the drive itself removed from the case and connected directly to a desktop computer. I suggest you try that if you want the data on the drive copied.

Good Luck
RolandJS Posts 21 Registration date Saturday 26 August 2017 Status Member Last seen 19 October 2017 1
20 Sep 2017 à 12:29
You are right as rain! If the data is important, initializing and/or formatting is not the answer. I hope end-user follows your advice.