After the last windows update, I can’t sign into my laptop

Closed
annieb123 - Updated on Sep 23, 2017 at 11:56 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Sep 23, 2017 at 04:54 PM
Hello,

i have an HP2000. the most recent windows update (mine was auto-installed on this past week) has caused my computer to 1) start up extraordinarily slowly and 2) not allow me to sign in. it will gradually reach the startup screen where i can click to sign in, but once i click, all i see is my blank screensaver - no option to sign into my account. it also sounds like my computer is working extra hard, as the fans inside are going at full speed all the time. this is the third day after the update where i’ve tried to log in and been unable to do so. i desperately need this laptop so i can function as a college student, and at the moment, i cannot purchase a new one. any ideas?
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Sep 23, 2017 at 04:54 PM
Hello Annie,

Is this a Windows 10 update?

Can you boot in safe mode?

If Windows 10, here is how:

From the sign-in screen

Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power Power icon

> Restart.
After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.