Macro that extracts info from changing number of worksheets

Closed
alita1984 Posts 1 Registration date Monday November 20, 2017 Status Member Last seen November 20, 2017 - Nov 20, 2017 at 02:48 PM
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 - Nov 21, 2017 at 10:36 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to find a way to insert a summary of several worksheets (I'm calling them analysis logs), but want to make it in such a way that if the number of worksheets change, or if I insert a worksheet from another file, the summary page will recognize this and add all the analysis logs.

Is this possible with a Macro?

Thanks
Alex

2 responses

vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Nov 20, 2017 at 09:53 PM
Hello Alex,

Try the following code placed in a standard module and assigned to a button:-

Sub Consolidate()

Dim ws As Worksheet

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Sheet1.UsedRange.Offset(1).ClearContents

For Each ws In Worksheets
     If ws.Name <> "Summary" Then
         ws.UsedRange.Offset(1).Copy
             Sheet1.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2).PasteSpecial xlValues
       End If
Next ws

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

I'm assuming that you would like all the data from each sheet consolidated into the Summary sheet (Sheet1).

The above code will do this regardless of the number of sheets in your workbook. The code will first clear any existing data in the Summary sheet prior to any new data being transferred over.

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Hi vcoolio,

Thanks for this. I think I'm getting closer. But I actually only want to extract a define range from each sheet, and add all the info from these ranges into my summary sheet.

I've been reading that I need to program a dynamic array, but can't get it to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!
vcoolio Posts 1404 Registration date Thursday July 24, 2014 Status Moderator Last seen September 15, 2023 259
Nov 21, 2017 at 10:36 PM
Hello Alex,

I don't think you need to worry about an array. If you have a defined, named range then adjusting the above code as follows may be all that you need:-

Sub Consolidate()

Dim ws As Worksheet

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Sheet1.UsedRange.Offset(1).ClearContents

For Each ws In Worksheets
     If ws.Name <> "Summary" Then
         ws.Range("XXXXX").Copy
             Sheet1.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2).PasteSpecial xlValues
       End If
Next ws

Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

In line 11, where I have placed "XXXXX", place the name of your defined range then test the code to see if it works.

If it still doesn't quite work, upload a sample of your workbook to a free file sharing site such as ge.tt or Drop Box then post the link to your file back here. It will be easier to sort this out for you if we have something to test with. Please use dummy data in your sample.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.