Pc wont boot shuts down after 1 second

Closed
Dave9311 - May 27, 2018 at 10:58 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - May 27, 2018 at 05:23 PM
Hello,

The following happend, the powerbutton didnt work, so I took a screwdriver opened it up, and short circuit the pins connected on the motherboard to manually boot it up, this worked I didn't fix the button and used this way a few months to turn it on.

BUT NOW my pc wont respond even when short circuiting it, if I turn off the power supply and then turn it on again at the back of the pc, it will start automatically without pressing any thing or short circuit it.
It boots for 1 small second followed by a soft beep of less then a millisecond and then shut down on it self, I could then turn off and on the power supply and it will repeat what it did as mentioned above

Please help me, did I break the motherboard?

Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
May 27, 2018 at 05:08 PM
Hi

You certainly fried your power supply.
What draws you to this conclusion? Couldn't it be the cpu thats fried? I hope it's the power supply would be the cheapest solution. But it gives power to boot and to light up the lights on the motherboard, besides buying a new power supply is there a way to test the current one?
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172 > Dave9311
May 27, 2018 at 05:23 PM
I am trying optimistic. You are getting a soft beep. I suggest you look up the bios code for that soft beep. I never had the necessary equipment to test power supplies.

When you short circuited the machine the last time, your may have short circuited something else and fried it.

I really would need to get my eyes and hands on it. You built it...