Computer wont boot

obokuri-eeumi - Sep 5, 2018 at 06:58 PM - Latest reply:  obokuri-eeumi
- Sep 5, 2018 at 07:51 PM
Hello,

I was recently tasked with helping a friend fix their computer. I have tried booting it, but i get a black screen. All other indications that the computer is running normally.

I tried putting the HDD into another computer with working components. Still wont boot up. Same black screen, with all other indications that it is booting up.

I used an external enclosure to try and read it with my own computer, and it works like an external HDD.

I have tried removing all components, cleaning them and reinstalling them. Still no boot. Even tried clearing CMOS as well.

I wont try and boot this HDD from my hardware as i had issues last time with a different HDD.

Any thoughts?
See more 

Your reply

3 replies

ac3mark 10480 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus September 18, 2018 Last seen - Sep 5, 2018 at 07:37 PM
Thank you
If you put a disk into a known good, and it didn't boot, the HDD is bad! What error did you get from BIOS when it didn't find the HDD?
ac3mark 10480 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus September 18, 2018 Last seen - Sep 5, 2018 at 07:38 PM
BTW, your PC now sees that HDD as a USB device! So don't even try to put it SATA! If that is what you have done, then you have other issues!
When i tried the HDD in a good computer, i had the same exact issue. No boot screen, but sounds like it is booting fine. I see lights on my keyboard / mouse, tower case, etc.

Thinking i could at least backup the data on said HDD, i then enclosed it and hooked it into my hardware via USB. Copying the data over at the moment. Just hoping that after i copy the data i can just shove it back into the original tower and things would be good.
Respond to ac3mark