Saving multiple Excel files based on a list

Solved/Closed
KenthH Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 13, 2018 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2018 - Updated on Nov 4, 2018 at 03:55 AM
KenthH Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 13, 2018 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2018 - Sep 20, 2018 at 04:03 PM
Hi,

I'm totally new to writing macros in excel but I thought I'd give it a go. I've seen similar threads but I can't find the answer to my problem. I want to save the content of a tab, "Master" to a new file based on a list of names in another tab, "Names". I want the filename and the name of the tab in the new file to be named according to the list.

I have based the code on two examples from @TrowaD but I cannot get it to loop correctly. It succeeds the first time but then it gets stuck on
Sheets("Master").Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Copy
according to the debugger. Error message : Run-time error 9, Subscript out of range. It also opens the newly created file which I would like to avoid if possible.

Any help on this would be very welcome!

Sub SplitData()

Dim wbName As String
Dim lRow, x As Integer

lRow = Sheets("Names").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
x = 0

Do
x = x + 1
wbName = Sheets("Names").Range("A" & x)
Workbooks.Add
Worksheets.Add
ActiveSheet.Name = wbName
Range("A1").PasteSpecial
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="/Users/kenth/Documents/exceltest/" & wbName & ".xls"
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Loop Until x = lRow

End Sub

Best regards,
KenthH

2 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:52 AM
Hi KenthH,
-
  • The error you get happens because the newly added workbook isn't closed and doesn't contain a sheet named "Master". This is solved with the point below.
  • To prevent having to close all the newly created workbooks, I added a line to close them for you.
  • Your path "/Users/kenth/Documents/exceltest/" doesn't have a station letter and contains forward slashes instead of backward. But you didn't mention this, so I guess it's just a sample path.

Here is the amended code:
Sub SplitData()
Dim wbName As String
Dim lRow, x As Integer

lRow = Sheets("Names").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Do
    x = x + 1
    wbName = Sheets("Names").Range("A" & x)
    Workbooks.Add
    Worksheets.Add
    ActiveSheet.Name = wbName
    Range("A1").PasteSpecial
    With ActiveWorkbook
        .SaveAs Filename:="C:\MyFiles\" & wbName & ".xls"
        .Close
    End With
Loop Until x = lRow

Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

How does the code perform now?

Best regards,
Trowa
KenthH Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 13, 2018 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2018
Sep 14, 2018 at 05:03 AM
Hi Trowa,

thanks!! The loop works now. The only problem I have now is the path. I'm on Mac and I thought it should work to have a linux-style path, but as it is right now it includes the path in the actual filename. If I leave the path out I get the correct files in the directory where I started excel so that's a quick workaround. But if you have suggestions for the correct definition and use of the path on Mac that would be great.

Thanks again!! So helpful!!

Best regards,
Kenth
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Sep 17, 2018 at 11:54 AM
Hi Kenth,

I don't have acces to a Mac, so I can't test my suggestion.

It seems that for Excel 2011 the path needs to be:
Macintosh HD:Users:RDB:Desktop:YourFolder:
And for Excel 2016:
/Users/RDB/Desktop/YourFolder/

It also seems that Mac doesn't need file extention (which seems very weird to me).

Looking at your first post I would change code line 16:
.SaveAs Filename:="C:\MyFiles\" & wbName & ".xls"
into:
.SaveAs Filename:="/Users/kenth/Documents/exceltest/" & wbName

Hopefully that solves it for you.

Best regards,
Trowa

KenthH Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 13, 2018 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2018
Sep 20, 2018 at 04:03 PM
Hi Trowa,

it works beautifully now, thank you so much for helping me out!

Best regards,
Kenth