Wifi mobile range extender/booster

Closed
welshoz Posts 2 Registration date Monday October 1, 2018 Status Member Last seen October 1, 2018 - Updated on Oct 1, 2018 at 04:06 PM
 Blocked Profile - Oct 2, 2018 at 04:59 PM
Hello,
wife is in australia in a communal living setting where she has wifi in main building but has accommodation around 75 metres away thus no wifi. She cannot ask the owner to plugin a booster so needs to boost the receiver capacity of her phone. It's not an issue if she has to have an antenna plugged into her phone, she just wants to have access to the wifi signal a distance away.
I have looked and am asking peoples thoughts. Thanks

Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Oct 1, 2018 at 04:49 PM
Well, I am not aware of any BOOSTERS that are just plug in and and they work. Without actual network credentials, it is not possible.
welshoz Posts 2 Registration date Monday October 1, 2018 Status Member Last seen October 1, 2018
Oct 1, 2018 at 11:44 PM
ac3mark, thanks for the reply. In the mid 90's when cell phones were beginning to become popular in North America I was working/living in Newfoundland Canada. I had a Motorola Grey flip phone that had an antenna. I was too far away from the city and couldn't get a signal without walking up a hill. I was given an external antenna that had a magnetic base(for the roof of my car) that screwed into the phone (by unscrewing the phones antenna).

It worked very well and I was able to get a signal where I wasn't without it. I can't see why something similar would not be available more than 20 years later. To my mind your phones receiver is just that... A receiver. It receives a signal therefore, if you add an external antenna of sorts, it should be capable of improving the range of the receiver ?

I'm not a phone engineer so would not really know. Can you explain why you think what I am saying isn't true.

Cheers from UK
Blocked Profile
Oct 2, 2018 at 04:59 PM
UM... WIFI is not cellular! YOu are talking about WIFI in your post, but referring cellular phone experiences as a user. Typically in order to BOOST the signal, you would need a greater signal strength at BROADCAST, not a degraded one at receive. If you are looking to "extend" the receiver, then you will need a highly concentrated UNI-DIRECTIONAL ANTENNEA to be constantly pointing to the "BROADCAST". I am military trained in Electronic Communications in the UHF and MIcrowave bands, and specifically in CANCELING out signals of particular types, in particular directions!
Lets say that you do get a device, and plug it in. It sees 5 different networks. Which one do you wish to have extended? All of them? Most devices need some sort of administration to work as expected. Once again, this is an IP based scenerio as posted, and not a cellular (already secured by the SIM) type of network!!!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 2, 2018 at 05:51 AM
Hi

There is such booster, but you must expect to spend around £400

You might also look for weBoost Connect 4G but I don't know if it's available in the UK

4G LTE signal booster for home, office, or other small areas

Enhances talk, text, and 3G and 4G LTE internet on all phones with all carriers

Boosts 4G LTE and 3G signals ideal for reliable, fast streaming for data-heavy apps

Eliminates dropped calls, improves connections, and reduces dead zones

Offers quick text message delivery and improves reception delivering better voice quality

Operates on 700Mhz, 800Mhz, 1900Mhz, and AWS 1700/2100Mhz frequencies

Uses a panel antenna and SmarTech III technology to amplify existing weak carrier signal

God save the Queen