Superfast Virgin Broadband but rubbish WiFi

Closed
Wilko74 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday October 4, 2018 Status Member Last seen October 5, 2018 - Oct 4, 2018 at 06:27 AM
 Blocked Profile - Oct 5, 2018 at 04:52 PM
Hello

I have a Virgin Media Superhub 3 that was installed last week and delivers the advertised speed of 300+mbs if wired by Ethernet cable. The problem however is that the WiFi performance is terrible (either producing less than 10mbs or dropping out completely in some rooms around the house). Virgin Media offered no help whatsoever saying that they can only guarantee broadband speeds into the router and not WiFi speed.

We are just about to get the upstairs of our 3 bedroom house re-wired and as part of this will install internet points in each bedroom, connected to the Virgin Media router via Ethernet cables.

I have 2 questions that I’m hoping someone can help me with.

1. Is there a better way of projecting stronger Wifi around the house from the router?
2. What should I plug into the internet points in the bedrooms to create a stronger WiFi signal in each room?

Another point that I may explore is changing the channel of the broadband but I’m not convinced that will help if the Virgin router is the problem.

Any thoughts and ideas massively appreciated!
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Oct 4, 2018 at 07:18 AM
Hi,

You can almost guarantee that every single home around you has a router giving off wifi.

Each wifi signal creates noise in the air.

Wifi signals are defined by "Channels". If there are too many wifi signals which are the same or close to the same channel, this will cause congestion and can impact your wifi signal and performance.

I believe the recommendation is to set your wifi to a different channel that is 3 channels apart from surrounding wifis so your networks dont overlap.

Run the test again.

Wifi's are 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz with 5Ghz allowing for more throughput which means faster download.

However, 5Ghz waves cannot travel as far or penetrate as good as 2.4Ghz. If you're trying to reach a further distance i would stick on the 2.4Ghz network.

There are many ways to get wifi in to different rooms. Since you're cabling to each room I would suggest you purchase a WIRELESS ACCESS POINT and plug in to it. This will create another wifi spot for you.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Oct 4, 2018 at 05:11 PM
Hello

I most agree with Lord Kieferschild.

You might also look at the possibility of installing a wifi repeater or repeaters. A WiFi Repeater effectively contains two wireless routers, similar to the wireless router you already have in your home. One of these wireless routers picks up the existing WiFi network. It then transfers the signal to the other wireless router, which transmits the boosted signal.

Again a WiFi extender could be the solution. The kit allows you to send your internet signal over the electrical circuit in your home. It comes with 2 adapters; one plugs into a power socket near your current router, and the other in the location where you need signal. Connect the first one to your router using an ethernet cable, and connect the second to an ethernet device (e.g. a Smart TV or games console). The second adapter could also be connected to a WiFi router for a second WiFi network.

Good luck
Blocked Profile
Oct 4, 2018 at 05:25 PM
The problem may be that you are connecting with older devices, which will have lower throughput for WIFI! What version of WIFI are the devices using?
Wilko74 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday October 4, 2018 Status Member Last seen October 5, 2018
Oct 5, 2018 at 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone, that’s really helpful and as I said in my original post....really appreciated.

The re-wiring takes place on Monday and I’ve already requested a double internet/Ethernet socket. I’m going to opt for a WAP in each of the two room (in addition to plugging in the PS4 / Xbox)so hopefully that will do it.

Thanks again guys. Have a good weekend.
Blocked Profile
Oct 5, 2018 at 04:52 PM
You can cause the two devices to compete. be careful, because a device will connect to one, see the other, and will jump to it, continuously jumping back and forth!