Was email send from my own account?

Closed
OMessage Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday October 31, 2018 Status Member Last seen October 31, 2018 - Updated on Oct 31, 2018 at 05:21 AM
 Ambucias - Oct 31, 2018 at 06:10 PM
Last night I got an email on my business Gmail supposedly from my business Gmail account. It was the usual extortion stuff saying they had hacked my email and had naked photos of me and they’d send them to everyone unless I pay $850. And my who system had rat ware in it so if I changed my password they would know the new one. I’ve since changed my password.

There are some problems with this like they said my email at the time of hack was 345276 which it has never been (it’s much more secure). Didn’t supply any photos. My web cam has had tape over it since I bought the computer. And they didn’t supply any contacts.

However, when I click show original the only email address I can see in there is mine Sales@domain.co.uk with a lot of random digits compared to when I send an email to myself. I guessing this has something to do with the spoofing of my email? How do I find out where this was really sent from and if it was from my email?

Thanks in advanced
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Oct 31, 2018 at 08:29 AM
Hi,

Spammers will spoof email. Spoofing email is very easy to do. I got a spoof email from "Myself" with a similar ransom.

To check where the email came from you would need to review the message headers.

You can do so by following these instructions:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/29436?hl=en
Great tip !Thank you very much!