Screen blanks then reapears later during boot on windows 10 fine with windows 7

Closed
jkeeley Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday February 19, 2019 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2019 - Feb 19, 2019 at 10:16 PM
 jkeeley - Feb 22, 2019 at 06:01 PM
I have a hp dv6 i5 1TB hdd laptop that first came with windows 7 pro. never had a problem except for updates, all fixed.
in late 2018 I upgraded to windows 10 64 bit pro. I got drivers to suit from hp along with a bios upgrade.
from the first restart this problem appeared. the sequence is:-
hp start up screen ok. windows logo and dots circle running for 5-10 seconds, then screen blanks out for 45 to 70 seconds, lots of hdd activity, then screen comes back on to logo and circle for a few seconds then the logon screen. from this point all works just fine.
if you do a cold start the same sequence but the blank screen is longer than restart.
if you do a safe mode then the blank screen is only a few seconds.
I have rebuilt the laptop a number of times, with and without drivers, different hard drive, different copy of both drivers and windows 10 pro all exactly the same results, re loaded windows 7 perfect.
tried 32 bit version of 10 and still this blank screen. now back to 10 64bit pro as i need.
any ideas as to what i have wrong. please
i even tried a second hand mother board and a new ssd drive..... the ssd is faster but blank is still the same.
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Feb 20, 2019 at 07:54 AM
What is the load level of your copy of ten? Is it possible it is applying updates?
jkeeley Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday February 19, 2019 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2019
Feb 20, 2019 at 05:14 PM
thanks for a reply, the level is ver 1809 updated to 19/02/19. this laptop is in daily use online. drivers last updated mid January. (Microsoft).
Blocked Profile
Feb 20, 2019 at 05:21 PM
I had an update that ran for 24 hours when I first applied Windows 10.

Get to a desktop, open up a CMD prompt with admin privilages, and SFC /SCANNOW

Post back with results. SFC will check for missing or corrupt OS files.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
was the message that came back.
I then did a restart and still got the blank screen but it was down to 40 seconds, slightly better. but not removed.
it at least helped thanks.
Blocked Profile
Feb 21, 2019 at 07:51 PM
NOw, see how the disk is, run defrag!
defrag analyze said 1% fragmented defrag not required. did it anyway back to 65 secs this restart after defrag. disk health check reported no errors or faults.