PC doesn't start

Closed
LuisFer22 Posts 2 Registration date Monday January 13, 2020 Status Member Last seen January 13, 2020 - Jan 13, 2020 at 06:47 AM
 LuisFer22 - Feb 26, 2020 at 03:25 AM
Hello,
My pc was refusing to start normally, since some time. With poweron button, and PS220V button switch on, pressed simultaneously, it starts normally. (sometimes). Otherwise, pushing the power button, power supply starts, with the fan moving, but panel fan, (connected to MBoard), and also the CPU fan, do not move. Sometimes we can see a small step to moving, on the CPU fan, in startup trials. The cpu seems to work, because it becames hot after some seconds. Do you have any clues?
thanks, Luis
Related:

8 responses

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,925
Jan 13, 2020 at 10:43 AM
Hello, as a start I suggest you have a look at this article on what to do when your OS won't boot.

Let me know how you get on!
LuisFer22 Posts 2 Registration date Monday January 13, 2020 Status Member Last seen January 13, 2020
Jan 13, 2020 at 11:10 AM
Hi David, I have done must sugestions done on web pages. Try start without ram, with all hardware disconnected etc. I only hadn't done a Bios clean, but I do not think the problem is there. There is no start at all, to see bios problem. As I told, the only thing seen working after pushing the pwron button is the PS fan. The cpu should be working because, the refrigerator starts to be warm. This is a HP pavillion t000 board PTGDI-LA from Asus. Using pwrbutton and mains power on, simultaneously, the unit starts working normally, (sometimes), as it be at the moment. If I do a reboot, the unit starts normally again. I have done that. It seems that there is not enough power to start, or something wrong on the board. The fan on real panel is connected to motherboard, and also the cpu fan, and they do not start also. Sometimes there is a small movement on cpu fan, upon power button pushing. I have never seen this before. I can say also, that I have replaced some capacitors, 6 that were "FAT". I have cut them, and replace with new ones just soldering to the old pins, just to avoid problems with "hot" and connections thru the holes of several layers of the board. (I have done that in an old IBM, at several years ago, and it is still working normally). Do you know how the board sources power to the fans? Is there a transistor that does a switch effect? If so, the switching action could not being done at all.
Thanks, Luis
Facebookcoder
Jan 13, 2020 at 12:34 PM
So what indication do you get when trying to boot without the ram? Do you get the same indication as when the ram is in? If so then the motherboard is to blame as it is in common regardless of ram or not. It sounds as though the soldering of caps might be the culprit.
I do not notice any difference when the system doesn't come up. With or without RAM. With or without GraphicCard inserted. I have tried also two other power supply. I am thinking also that could be a capacitor, another one, that could be dead, and creates a short in the start. Have you heard such thing, from anyone? I am retired now, and I have worked in ground stations communicating with satellites. I rememeber that some equipment's that are normally working for a big life, several years, after disconnecting, they refuse to start again, because capacitors became dead, and act as a short circuit, in starting act. Who knows? Today, a few minutes ago, I pushed the pwr_on buton and system started normally. "The power supply was left connected, since yesterday". I will do more starts along the day, just to see. Nevertheless, it would be very difficult to find a problematic capacitor, unless it shows a fat top.
I have just done now, a shuttdown, and a restart, and everything went ok!
Thanks, Luis
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,925
Jan 14, 2020 at 05:33 AM
Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed it keeps working!
Sophie_2016 Posts 12 Registration date Monday December 23, 2019 Status Member Last seen January 15, 2020 5
Updated on Jul 20, 2022 at 03:18 PM

Someone may say that the following is superfluous, but personal experience suggests the opposite. If your laptop or computer does not turn on, check the cable connection (not only the plug plugged into the socket, but also the connector connected to the system unit), the functionality of the socket itself and anything else related to the connecting cables (possibly the efficiency of the cable itself).
If shortly before the problem occurred, you were cleaning your computer from dust or installing new hardware and the computer did not turn on "completely", ie. there is neither fan noise nor power indicator light, check the connection of the power supply to the connectors on the motherboard, as well as the connectors of the front panel of the system unit (see How to connect the front panel of the system unit to the motherboard)
And,maybe you have got a virus. But I am not sure.
Anyway, wish you good luck!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Sophie_2016 Posts 12 Registration date Monday December 23, 2019 Status Member Last seen January 15, 2020 5
Jan 15, 2020 at 06:01 PM
Try turning off all devices, leaving only the computer, and see if it works now or not. If the voltage is too low or too high, the computer may not turn on or burn out altogether. You can check the voltage with a special tester or by eye on an incandescent light bulb (not energy-saving). With a low voltage, the light bulb glows dimmer than usual, but with a high voltage, on the contrary, it is brighter, or it lights up, but quickly burns out ... But this is in extreme cases, it is better of course a tester.

It happens that everything is in order with the outlet, but the electricity does not reach the computer due to poor contact of the power cable. You need to try to pull the power cable out of the system unit and firmly insert it back.
Rodriguez_0298 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday February 22, 2020 Status Member Last seen February 22, 2020
Feb 22, 2020 at 06:06 AM
Check for power supply issues. ...
Make sure it's not a slow boot. ...
Make sure your monitor or display is functional. ...
Eliminate external hardware. ...
Reset memory modules and internal components. ...
A few more reasons your PC won't turn on.
Hi all, this pc, is again with the problem. As I told in beginning, the PS fan starts, but Mobo and cpu fans don't start. I have tested 2 other PS. There is also no image in display. I have replaced several capacitors, that were "fat" in the top, and after that, I have tested the machine several days, without any problem. Yesterday, after sometime without use, the PC does not start again anymore. Another symptom is: if we do not disconnect PS from mains, the cpu became very hot. In some way, the processor should be working, and creating hot, that the fan does not extract, since it is not working. Strange. There would be not enough power to let cpu and fans start. Something on the board is "eating" the power.
Luis Fernandes
AlreadyencryptedDOH
Feb 24, 2020 at 01:44 PM
If you have soldered on the board just go get a new motherboard.
LuisFer22 > AlreadyencryptedDOH
Feb 26, 2020 at 03:25 AM
Hi the replacement of capacitors went ok. I have just cut old ones, and soldered the news just on pins left up. It is not a good idea to hot the motherboard itself. I have don that in 2 old motherboards from IBM towers, at 6 or more years ago, and one is working perfectly yet, and the other died last month, but for another reason. So, the problem is not on the change. Moreover as I told before, the problem was present, the same from the beginning. This is a PC with XP, and is needed to deal with a program factuPlus, from old times. It doesn't work over new computers, only using Win10. I have bought a new machine, from the factory, just "old", to be used with XP OS.
I keep trying to find a reason. Thanks for everyone.
Luis
ninaholm Posts 5 Registration date Friday February 21, 2020 Status Member Last seen February 24, 2020 1
Feb 24, 2020 at 02:21 AM
I think Ram main problem in your PC