Upgrade or buy new?

Closed
RH - Jun 20, 2009 at 11:54 PM
 Blocked Profile - Jun 21, 2009 at 06:24 AM
Hello,
I am considering buying a new laptop or upgrading my current one. My primary use for the laptop is the basic MS Office use and searching through the web. The programs have not been very demanding (usually simple math software, programming, and itunes. I will need to use a couple new programs that I would like to be able to load and use on the laptop. Both (MATLAB and LabView) suggest 1GB of ram. Only about 24GB of the 60GB hard drive is free right now.
One of the other simple things that I would like to be able to do on a computer is to run a couple applications at the same time without a drag in performance. Right now, surfing the web and listening to itunes slows it enough to where it's usually not worth it.

I currently have a Compaq Presario V2615US still running with the base specs:
AMD Sempron 3000+
1.8 GHz, 128KB L2 1600MHz FSB
512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM 2700
60 GB 4200 rpm hard drive

If you have any advice on what all I should upgrade to satisfy what I would like it to do, I would be very appreciative. I have seen old reviews and article where people have upgraded to 2GB of RAM, a larger hard drive, and/or a better processor. I have had this computer since Fall 2006 and this was one of the older models on sale then so most of the information I have found is fairly old.
My main goal here is to get the knowledgeable opinions. Unfortunately I don't always fully trust people in the computer stores because part of their job is, after all is said and done, trying to get me to spend money in their store.

Thanks for any input.
RH

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jun 21, 2009 at 06:24 AM
hi,

you should check i you can upgrade the processor.

this will speed up your computer greatly.

you can also upgrade the RAM.