This article will help if you get the "Exe Is Not a Valid Win32 Application" error while downloading or moving an executable file from another computer or drive. It lists the causes of the error and then suggests corrective action.
This article examines the scenario of .exe files not opening due to a corrupt file system or an unregistered file. Sometimes while launching an .exe file, an error occurs where the file is termed as an invalid Win32 application. These tips also apply to earlier versions of the operating system.
What to do if you have an invalid Win32 application?
When you launch an executable file, Windows displays a message like:
Application name is not a valid Win32 application
.exe is a file execution extension. There are different file formats for different systems that are identifiable with the help of different alphabets that accompany them.
- File download
- IDE Controller badly configured
The file is not associated with the right program
- Support CD / DVD unreadable
- Incompatibility with your version of Windows
- File system corrupted
- File unregistered
- Virus / spyware
- Problem with browser configuration
If the application in question was uploaded to the Internet, it is possible that it was corrupted during the download. This is the most common reason leading to "Exe Is Not a Valid Win32 Application" error. In this case, just download the file again.
IDE Controller Badly Configured
- Right-click on My Computer and select "Properties".
- In System Properties, select the Hardware tab and then Device Manager.
- Double-click the IDE ATA / ATAPI controllers.
- Double-click on the Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE channel.
- In the tab "Advanced Settings", under Device 0, ensure the command is set to DMA if available and not PIO only.
Wrong program selected to open file
Check which program opens the installed file by default. It may not support the file type.
CD / DVD is Unreadable
If the error is caused by a defective media, follow the steps below:
- Try to read the CD / DVD in another drive
- Clean with a soft cloth and water (no soap)
- Attempt to retrieve the data with software such as Win ISO (free version), which will retrieve the damaged file
Incompatibility with your version of Windows
Check for which version of Windows the program you are using is created. If it is designed for a different version of Windows, then this will also result in an error. Even if the version is correct, but created for a different category, this will also become a reason for an error.
File System Corrupt
To check the integrity of protected system files, run the following command:
If the error occurs at the opening of files, click Start / Run, then enter and confirm the following command:
regsvr32 / i SHELL32.DLL
The problem may be related to malware. Post a question on CCM's forum in the virus/security section for further help.
Problem with Internet Explorer configuration
- Disconnect from IE (Internet Explorer) or Firefox
- Double click on IE (even if you only use Firefox)
- Tools> Internet Options> Security Tab
- Verify that the security level for this zone is medium-high and high NO.
- Validate OK