-
Registration date
Friday October 30, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 4, 2021
-
Hello,

I have a flash drive that has autorun.inf on it, (not really sure why since I didn't actually use it), and when I went through command prompt as administrator, changed it to E:, (which was the USB letter drive), confirmed the virus was in the drive with dir /w/a, and used the del autorun.inf command, all I got was access denied. I've tried a number of different suggestions on how to remove it, but anything involving trying to delete autorun itself gets access denied. How do I get around it?

System Configuration: Windows / Firefox 89.0

2 replies

Registration date
Friday October 30, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 4, 2021
Hi,

Try the command attrib -r -h -s autorun.inf and then use the del autorun.inf command.

If the problem persists, make a copy of your data and format the drive.

Good luck.
Thank you

Glad we were able to help! Love us? Write us a review! Rate CCM

CCM 2942 users have said thank you to us this month

Unfortunately that doesn't work either. I type in a command and hit enter and it simply brings up the next line as though I didn't even type anything at all. I don't know what it is about me, but 9/10 times when I try to solve technological issues following steps even a 3rd grader can follow, I have no success. I hit a dead end within literally 1-2 steps that make the attempt a failure. Basically, the standard, simplest solutions will probably not work. I even bought a program called Autorun Virus Remover to remove the file, but all I get when I attempt to use it is I/O error 103. Does it make a difference if I'm using the commands with E: drive instead of C: drive? I don't know why it would, but I can't really think of anything that's different from the normal case.
Registration date
Friday October 30, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 4, 2021
Sorry to hear that. You must specify the letter of the USB, namely the letter E: in command prompt. Don't use the letter C: which corresponds to the computer's hard drive.

You can try to start Windows in Safe Mode and then perform the above steps to delete the autorun.inf file. If you're still unable to delete that file, the best way is to format your USB drive. Quit the Safe Mode by restarting your computer.

In File Explorer, go to This PC. Right-click on the USB drive and choose Format. Click Restore device defaults > Start. Note: Copy all your personal files to your computer before formatting!

Good luck.
Thank you

Glad we were able to help! Love us? Write us a review! Rate CCM

CCM 2942 users have said thank you to us this month

It worked! I literally had nothing on the drive since I hadn't used it for anything yet, so formatting it was actually simple. Thank you!
Registration date
Friday October 30, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 4, 2021
1,386 > Raine
You're welcome!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!

The Best of CCM in Your Inbox

Subscribe To Our Newsletter!