Safe Mode for Windows is an alternate way to access your system in order to fix problems or remove malware from the computer. This tutorial will introduce you to the feature and show you how to boot your own computer or laptop in Safe Mode. This article covers tips for Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
N.B. Booting a Windows PC in Safe Mode should not be attempted without prior experience or technical expertise.
What is safe mode?
Safe Mode is a Windows feature that allows you to access your computer's interface without having to load unnecessary drives and software. In other words, it is your device's diagnostic mode.
When you start your computer in Safe Mode, only specific components needed to run the operating system are loaded. Because of this, certain features, like internet access and video playback, are limited or restricted.
Why start you computer in safe mode?
Some malware files are impossible to remove because they are already running. In Safe Mode, only necessary files are loaded, and malicious files can be removed.
How to start Windows XP, Vista, or 7 in safe mode?
- Begin by restarting the computer.
- Once the progress bar is nearly loaded, start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. (If F8 does not work, try tapping F5 instead.)
- Do this until Windows' Advanced Options menu appears.
N.B. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, your computer might display the message: "Keyboard Error". To resolve this problem, restart the computer and try again.
- Using the arrow keys, select Safe Mode, and then, press Enter.
N.B. If you are on a network and your system requires that you be connected to the other computers or to the internet, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Dial-up connection users will not be able to use this option in Safe Mode.
How to start Windows XP home edition in safe mode?
- With a Windows XP Home Edition computer, you should first log in to the Admin account by disabling the Bypassing the Logon Screen option.
- To disable this function, press your Start button and select Command Prompt from the Accessories list.
- Then, type control userpasswords, and press the Enter key on your keyboard. This command will launch the Windows 2000 User Accounts application.
- Head to the Users tab, and check the box next to Users Must Enter a User Name and Password to Use This Computer. Then, click OK.
- You can now boot into Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key during startup.
N.B. The password for the Admin account should be left blank in Safe Mode.
How to start Windows 8 and 8.1 in safe mode?
For booting in Safe Mode with Windows 8 and 8.1, please see this CCM how-to.
How to start Windows 10 in safe mode?
- Click the Start menu, and click the Power button. Press and hold the Shift button on your keyboard, and click Restart.
- After your computer reboots, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart.
- Windows will reboot again, after which you can choose which kind of Safe Mode you would like to enter. Press the F4 key on your keyboard to access general Safe Mode, F5 to access Safe Mode with Networking, and F6 to access Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
From the Sign-in Screen
- Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power (Power icon) and, then, Restart.
- After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
- After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
N.B. If you are a novice, do not try to change any configuration settings in a Safe Mode environment using the Command Prompt, as you could seriously damage your system. You should contact a technician if you are not able to boot in Safe Mode.
- Windows 10 safe mode from bios
- Safe mode from bios
- Windows 10 safe mode
- Windows xp safe mode not working [solved] > Forum - Windows XP
- No xp pro disc and lost admin password [solved] > Forum - Windows XP
- Can't boot in any mode [solved] > Forum - Windows XP
- Windows XP forgot password: administrator, locked out > Guide
- Locked out of administrator forgot password - safemode prompt > Forum - Windows XP
- How to save ping report in text file?
- Fix the Windows security bug: Print Nightmare
- Clear RAM on Windows: via cmd, shortcut, without rebooting
- Turn off automatic updates on Windows: 7, 8, and 10
- Microsoft Windows 11: release date, download, beta, update
- Enable/Disable device via command line
- Disable password at login: On Windows 7/8.1/10
- Install apps on Windows 10: via Run, without Microsoft store
- How to enable the screen reader: on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- How to check power usage on Windows PC?
- Execute a script in Windows: at startup and shutdown
- Network PC asking for username and password: Windows 10
- How to open MSI file: on Mac, in Android, in Windows 10
- How to create an icon in Paint
- Stop CMD from closing: automatically, after running program
- Java update tab missing: Windows 10
- Enable or disable the welcome screen: Windows 7, 8, 10, 11
- Fix disk boot failure: Windows XP, 7, 8, 10
- How to use TV as second monitor: with HDMI, Windows 10
- Disable right click: Windows 10, Windows 11
- Set up your MagicJack: On Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP
- Most common Windows error codes and how to fix them
- How to eject USB flash drive with a keyboard shortcut?
- How to check software installed date in Windows
- Removing the files remaining after uninstalling a program
- Stay online when switching user account: Windows
- Computer error codes list and solutions
- Exe files not opening: Windows 7, Windows 10, Vista, XP
- How to create an Autorun.inf file: in Windows 7
- Start/Stop a Service on Windows: command line, 10
- Restart Windows without restarting computer: Windows 10
- How to rip copy protected CD: Windows Media Player
- How to disable network sharing on Windows Media Player?
- How to check laptop battery health: Windows 8, 10
- How to rotate multiple images: at once, Windows 10
- ipconfig command: in Windows, not found
- How to enable/disable administrator account in Windows?
- How to know if you need more RAM on Windows 10?
- Disable Deepfreeze: from Command Prompt, without password
- Md5sum download and how to use
- Windows task manager missing menus and tabs
- Reset PC to factory settings: Windows 11, 10, 8.1
- How to clear recent files: Windows 11,10,8.1
- How to set Command Prompt size: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- How to enable touchpad: Windows 10, on laptop
- Restore a Windows PC to factory settings without disc
- Recover deleted music files in Windows Media Player
- How to stop my Windows background from changing?
- How to fix Limited or No Connectivity issues on Windows?
- How to uninstall apps on Microsoft Surface
- Open SWF files in Windows and Android
- How to change account name in Windows 8.1
- Disable print spooler: on Windows 7, 10, 11
- Windows volume icon: not working, not showing
- USB hard drive not showing up: Windows
- Kernel Stack Inpage Error on Windows: how to fix?
- How to turn off airplane mode: Windows 11,10,8.1,8
- Disable the Touchpad when mouse is connected: Windows 11, 10
- How to fix sound problems: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to start system restore from command line in Windows
- How to disable network access to Windows registry?
- How to stop automatic restart: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, XP
- How to disable or enable the Encrypting File System: Windows
- How to show desktop icons in Windows 10
- How to add the Run command to Start menu: Windows 11,10,8.1
- How to show the preview pane: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7
- Improve your PC performance: for gaming, without formatting
- How to check the Windows version: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- Disable Windows Store: gpo, registry
- How to verify Windows license
- How to change the date and time: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to fix HDMI audio from laptop to TV: Windows 11,10,8,7
- Disable print spooler service: in domaine controllers
- How to create desktop shortcuts: Windows 11,10,8,7
- Change computer system language: Windows 7, Windows 10
- How to change the default OS in dual boot: Windows 11,10,8,7
- How to allow or block access to Microsoft Store in Windows
- How to reduce data usage: Windows 11, 10
- Disable touchpad: when mouse is connected, Windows 10
- How to disable or enable Autoplay: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to recover your Windows password with Lazesoft?
- How to fix a blue screen on Windows
- How to turn off the camera on Windows
- How to share files between two Windows PCs?
- Enable automatic sign-in: on Windows 10, 8, 7
- How to turn off Firewall: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- How to backup Windows data: with .bat
- Best apps to update your Windows drivers
- Enable admin account in Windows 7, 8, 10
- How to change desktop icons in Windows
- How to create a Resource Monitor shortcut: Windows 10, 8, 7
- How to fix a Windows Update failure
- How to defragment: Windows 11, 10, 8.1
- How to disable Save a copy of sent messages in Windows Live
- Unable to install .NET Framework Error Message 0xc8000222
- How to open the Control Panel: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- Windows CLIP command
- HAL is missing in Windows
- Safely Remove Hardware icon missing in Windows
- MSOCache delete