Gmail Alternate Email Display Name Change

Closed
Firehawk734 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday August 26, 2021 Status Member Last seen August 27, 2021 - Updated on Aug 26, 2021 at 07:21 PM
HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 - Sep 12, 2021 at 06:52 PM
Hi,

I have G suite. I have 2 users. I run a rental business. I read up about creating alternate email addresses for users.

I want to make a generic email called 'info@s***.org' so that tenants can email us there.

I've created this alternate email already. When I tested it by sending a test email to it, it worked fine. But when I reply from the 'info' alternate email, it still displays my user name. Is it possible to have a different display name such as "support" when I reply? If so, how?
If that's possible, is it possible to also have a completely separate signature?

Thank you.
Related:

4 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891
Aug 26, 2021 at 07:20 PM
Hi,

Click the Gmail Settings icon and select See all settings.

Next, select the Accounts and Import tab. In the "Send mail as" section, click Edit info in front of the email. Check the box next the text field and enter the name to display. Then, click Save Changes.

To have a different signature for the other email address, select the General tab and in "Signature", you will see the option to add a signature to it.
Firehawk734 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday August 26, 2021 Status Member Last seen August 27, 2021
Aug 27, 2021 at 08:17 AM
This only works for the main email, not the alternate email alias.
HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891
Sep 2, 2021 at 06:00 PM
I can see the edit option. Did you add the alias using the Add another email address link in the Send mail as section? Try deleting the alias from your account and add it again using that link.
I got it! This worked thank you!

One last question, is there a way to set a profile pic for each separate email? It seems to show my primary account picture on both the primary email and the alternate email. This should be the last thing I need and then I'm all set.
Sep 7, 2021 at 02:25 PM
Great!

It seems that there's no option to set a different profile picture for the alias, so I found an alternative method which consists in creating a new Gmail account for the alias, then adding that account to your main account.

To add the account, go to Accounts and Import and click Add a mail account in the "Check mail from other accounts".
Wouldn't that be a problem for a business? What my goal is, is to create a generic info@ email for tenants to email us at. So my emails don't end in gmail.com. they end in s***.org.

When I first got started, I had someone help me get set up. I bought the domain at go daddy and then they linked it over to Google somehow.

Anyway, if I want to create a new user account it costs $6/mo for it. Not terribly much, but if I could manage to do it for free I would try.

Is there a work around to be able to keep the s***.org without making a new user account and also be able to get a separate photo? If not, I can just remove the photo of myself, and put up a business logo.
Sep 12, 2021 at 06:52 PM
By creating a new Gmail account, it's free and you can keep the email address ending with your own domain. On the account creation page, simply select Use my current email address instead.

Then, link that new account with your main account as explained above. Now you can get a different photo than your main account and still keep your business email address.