If you own a Mac computer, you are able to change the name on your device to personalize it. This article will show you how to customize your Mac's name for iCloud, Airdrop, Bluetooth, and also an alternative method that allows you to change your Mac name in the Terminal.
How to change the name of your Mac for Airdrop, Bluetooth and iCloud?
In this article you will learn how to change your Mac's name.
- Click on the Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Go to the Internet & Wireless > Sharing.
- Type the new name in the Computer Name field.
How to change Mac name in the Terminal?
If you prefer to change the Mac name in the Terminal then all you need to do is enter this command:
sudo scutil --set HostName [NewHostNameHere]
This will allow you to change your host name. When you search for your computer name, this is what you will now see.
Need more help with your Mac? Check out our Forum!
- Change apple device name
- How to change device name on mac
- Rename macbook
- How to rename your android device in the Google Play Store? > Guide
- How to set screen timeout: Apple Watch > Guide
- How to change your Apple ID country or region > Guide
- Rename a partition: Ubuntu > Guide
- How to change Xbox One console name > Guide
- Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max: price, specs, release date
- How to find IP address on Mac: computer, terminal
- How to receive files via Bluetooth on Mac
- How to reinstall MacOS without disc
- How to reset calendar on Mac OS
- Reset admin password Mac: single user mode, OS X
- How to delete multiple files on Mac
- Force delete Mac file: in use, terminal
- How to allow downloads from unknown sources Mac
- Repair keychain: Mac, Big Sur, Monterey, Mojave
- Apple WWDC 2022: MacBook Air, date, keynote, event
- How to reset mail on Mac: Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave
- How to clear recents in Mac finder
- How to disable automatic downloads of attachments on Mac
- How to change Calendar settings on Mac
- How to disable trackpad Mac: via a shortcut, terminal
- How to show volume in menu bar on Mac OS
- How to use command F: on Mac, on iPhone
- How to disable disk image verification on MacOS
- Apple Magic Mouse: install, connect to Mac, use
- How to save a webpage as a PDF on Mac: Chrome, Safari
- Apple Mail backup: mailbox, emails, iCloud
- Convert JPG to PDF: Mac, online, free
- Disable disk image verification: Mac OS
- Apple Silicon: M1 chip, roadmap, release date, specs
- Save webpages for offline viewing in Safari on Mac
- MacOS Monterey: release date, new features, compatibility
- Speed up a slow Mac: Mini, computer, in 5 minutes
- Connect MacBook to TV: wireless, HDMI
- How to format an external drive on Mac
- How to force quit on Mac?
- How to disable iCloud: photos, back up, on iPhone, on Mac