Unwanted Chrome extension keeps installing

Closed
cabinfourus - Updated on Dec 11, 2021 at 11:19 AM
HelpiOS Posts 14310 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 23, 2024 - Dec 11, 2021 at 11:18 AM
Hello,

I am running Windows 10 and use the Chrome browser. I have two computers with the same google account tied together. Both computers keep getting the same extension that seems to keep reinstalling after I uninstall it. The extension also keeps my computers from going to sleep. It seems to make changes to my settings. I have already wiped and formatted both computers and reinstalled Windows but the extension still returns. I deleted most everything in my google drive folder but that didn't help. I want this thing gone.

Also, I have tried Windows defender and it doesn't seem to catch it. I also have ESET installed and it didn't find it. This thing is packed up somewhere and I can't seem to find where.

System Configuration: Windows / Chrome 96.0.4664.93
Related:

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14310 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 23, 2024 1,891
Dec 11, 2021 at 11:18 AM
Hi,

As you are signed in to Chrome and that extension reappears on both of your computers, check the sync settings of your Google account.

Open the Chrome Menu and go to Settings. Under your Google account name, select Sync. Next, turn off Sync everything and disable Extensions.

Then delete the extension from your computers.