How do I identify Cisco switch ,router and firewall?

Closed
Lebaw Posts 1 Registration date Saturday August 27, 2022 Status Member Last seen August 27, 2022 - Aug 27, 2022 at 04:39 AM
 Martin - Jan 24, 2023 at 11:02 AM

Hi Everyone,

How do I identify cisco switch, router and firewall from each other by looking at them at first glance in the server room?

I will be thrown in to the server room to identify which is which and i would really appreciate if you can give me a tip to identify them by looking at them at first glance.

Is there a way to identify them from each other, other than how they are connected and where the cable is going?

I may not be shown the front which might say router, switch or firewall. Most likely i will be tested randomly such as, can you tell me which on e is router, switch or fire wall. 

I would really appreciate if there is different ways to identify them by looking at them at first glance. 

If here is a picture, article or video that shows the difference please do suggest. I tried searching everywhere and i couldn't find one.

Regards,

Alex

Related:

1 response

There are various ways to identify the switch from a router or a firewall.

1. Look at the model number: Cisco devices have model numbers that indicate the type of device it is. For example, Cisco switches typically have model numbers that start with "SG" or "Cisco Nexus", routers with "ISR" or "ASR" and firewall with "ASA" or "Firepower"

2. Check the interface ports: A switch typically has multiple Ethernet ports, while a router typically has both Ethernet ports and WAN (Wide Area Network) ports, such as serial or T1/E1 ports. Firewall often have both Ethernet and serial ports, but also have additional ports like DMZ and management ports

3. Check the firmware: The firmware version and software running on the device can also indicate the type of device it is. For example, switches typically run IOS (Internetwork Operating System) or NX-OS, routers run IOS or IOS-XE, and firewalls typically run ASA or Firepower OS

4. Check the web interface or command line interface: Cisco devices have their own web interface or command line interface, which can be accessed using a web browser or terminal program. Depending on the device, it will have different options and settings.

It's important to note that the above methods are not definitive, some devices may have additional interfaces or run different firmware versions. It's always good to check the official documentation of the device or consult with the network administrator.