This tutorial will introduce you to two most widely used types of keyboards: the QWERTY and the AZERTY keyboards and show you how to change from one to another.
What is a QWERTY keyboard?
QWERTY keyboards, also known as Sholes keyboards, refer to the five consecutive letters on the upper left corner of the keypad. This type of keyboard bears the layout used for Latin-script alphabets and is the most common keyboard used in the United States, the United Kingdon (and other anglophone countries), and Spain.
What is an AZERTY keyboard?
An AZERTY keyboard is the most common type of keyboard widely used in countries such as Belgium and France. The letters are also found in a consecutive sequence on the upper left corner of the keypad.
How to change your keyboard language?
- Go to the Start menu, and open Control Panel.
- Choose Clock, Language and Region, and select Regional and Language Options. In the Installed Services section, click Add.
- If your keyboard language is set to French (AZERTY), change it to English US/UK, and if your keyboard is set to English (QWERTY), change the language to French (AZERTY).
- In the Keyboard section, choose QWERTY or AZERTY, and click OK.
Once you apply the changes, your keyboard language should be changed.
How to unblock your keyboard from AZERTY mode?
- If you would like to revert your keyboard from AZERTY mode to QWERTY mode, click the Start menu > Settings > Time, Language, and Region.
- Click Modify keyboards or other input methods. Select the keyboard that you wish to delete, then click Delete > OK.
What to do if NumLock function is locked on laptop?
Occasionally, when you are typing with your keyboard, you may find that numbers and symbols have replaced the letters that you are trying to insert. This can occur when the [NumLock] key has been pressed, which changes the keyboard into the mode in which it acts as a number pad. If you are using a laptop that doesn't feature a number pad, your [NumLock] key may be the reason behind this.
To reverse this and return to the normal letter mode, press the [NumLock] button on your keyboard. Some models may require one of the following key combinations: [Fn] + [NumLock] or [Shift] + [NumLock].
How to quickly switch between QWERTY and AZERTY keyboards?
You can also rapidly navigate between QWERTY and AZERTY keyboard settings by using any of the following key combinations: [ALT] + [Shift], [Shift] + [ALT], or — if you are using an AZERTY keyboard — [Shift] + [Alt Gr].
What are the shortcuts on AZERTY keyboard?
Special characters can be inserted using these shortcuts: AltGr + letter or AltGr + Shift + letter.
Alt + o = ø
- Alt + Shift + o = Ø
- Alt + a = æ
- Alt + e = €
- Alt + r = ¶
- Alt + p = þ
- Alt + q = @
- Alt + s = ß
- Alt + d = ð
- Alt + m = µ
- Alt + c = ¢
- Alt + Shift + a = Æ
- Alt + Shift + e = ¢
- Alt + Shift + r = ®
- Alt + Shift + y = ¥
- Alt + Shift + p = Þ
- Alt + Shift + s = §
- Alt + Shift + d = Ð
- Alt + Shift + f = ª
- Alt + Shift + k = &
- Alt + Shift + m = º
- Alt + Shift + c = ©
- Alt + ² = ¬
- Alt + 1 = ¹
- Alt + Shift + 1 = ¡
- Alt + Shift + 3 = £
- Alt + Shift + 4 = $
- Alt + Shift + 8 = (TM)
- Alt + Shift + 9 = ±
- Alt + Shift + 0 = °
- Alt + Shift + ) = ¿
- Azerty to qwerty
- Qwerty to azerty
- Change azerty to qwerty
- How to type @ on keyboard: Mac, Windows, laptop > Guide
- Backslash mac azerty > Guide
- Insert a tilde sign: on Mac, Windows > Guide
- How to type the pipe character on Mac? > Guide
- How do I insert the the hash # character on the keyboard [solved] > Forum - Keyboard
- Type 'E' with an acute accent: on Mac, Windows, in Word
- Keyboard won't type letters or numbers: wireless, laptop
- Fix reversed Caps Lock key: on Windows, Mac
- How to insert brackets and curly braces on Mac keyboard?
- How to fix your keyboard typing numbers instead of letters?
- Fix keyboard using shortcuts: Windows 10/8/7
- Fix laptop keys: CTRL, Fn, Num Pad
- Enable the on-screen keyboard: on Ubuntu, Mac, Windows, Android
- Shift key not working correctly: on Windows or Mac
- Mac numpad: keyboard, shortcuts, emulator
- Type accented uppercase letters: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
- Disable foreign keyboard: on Windows, Mac, Chromebook
- Type the π (pi) sign: in Excel, on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
- A key types the wrong sign: how to fix?
- Keyboard shortcuts to change language: on Windows, Mac
- Backspace not working in Word: 365, 2016
- Acer function keys not working Windows 10
- Type an underscore sign: Android, Windows, Mac, iPhone
- How to change keyboard language on Acer laptop