Unrecognized file with strange name in my download folder

Closed
Kubot - Updated on Nov 16, 2022 at 09:00 AM
HelpiOS Posts 14310 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 23, 2024 - Nov 16, 2022 at 09:00 AM

Hello,

Today I found in my download folder file that I dont remember to download. 

Strange name, and I don't remember that on that time I use my computer, I'm on 99% that I sleeping. 

When I dbclick on that folder inside it is only the same name file but with extension .msi. 

I scanned that file with Windows Defender but don't show my any warnings. 

Normally I delete this file but I am concern because .msi file have modification date so I supose that the file was opening.

What I can do? Is a way to check what is that file and whether it caused any undesirable actions? I don't want to format my PC.

Windows / Chrome 107.0.0.0

Related:

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14310 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 23, 2024 1,891
Nov 16, 2022 at 09:00 AM

Hi,

That seems suspicious... Try uploading this file to VirusTotal - it will be scanned by several antivirus engines. Check your browser's history, a website you visited may have automatically downloaded this file in the background.

If you don't suspect any website you visited, take a look at your browser's add-ons / extensions. I recommend you also that you run a scan on your computer using Malwarebytes to make sure that no malicious program is present.

Good luck