Recovery information changed, need to recover password

Solved/Closed
KristenH - Updated on Nov 26, 2022 at 08:44 PM
 KristenH - Nov 28, 2022 at 02:31 AM

Hello,

Someone got into my yahoo mail account and changed the password.  When I click on the recover or reset password, an email address and phone number that I do not recognize is listed, so I am unable to receive an email or text to recover/reset my yahoo account.  There are emails on my current account that I really need to access, so just creating a new yahoo account wouldn't help with those.  Is there any way to get around this?  Can I change my recovery email and phone number without being logged in so the recovery code comes to my phone and not whoever changed it?

Thanks in advance!

Kristen

Windows / Chrome 107.0.0.0

1 response

HelpiOS Posts 14304 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 17, 2024 1,891
Nov 27, 2022 at 06:17 PM

Hi Kristen,

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, you can only change your recovery methods if you have access to your account - it will be impossible otherwise.

As your recovery options have been changed, try entering directly your recovery phone number or alternate email address when using the Sign-in Helper.

Perform the recovery steps from a usual location with a familiar device. It will help Yahoo to recognize you as the legitimate owner of the account.

Good luck

Darn.  Thank you so much for your response.