WD recognised by XP but not shown in explorer

Closed
Cindy.1981 Posts 1 Registration date Friday July 17, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 18, 2009 - Jul 18, 2009 at 06:46 AM
 Cindy.1981 - Jul 18, 2009 at 11:36 AM
Hello,

Hope somebody can help me. It's an "old" topic.

Have a 3 year old WD Passport and it worked fine so far. It's formatted to NTFS.

I gave it to a friend to copy some of my stuff from the drive. She has Vista on her laptop, I have XP.

Since then whenever I connect the drive to my laptop it is recognised but I cannot find it. It is not in "My Computer" or in explorer. The only way to find it is through the device manager. It doesn't have a drive letter allocated either.
I am not an IT-pro but i guess there is a prob with the driver. Tried several things to get an updated driver but nothing worked.

To be honest I don't really care about the drive anymore but about the stuff on it. Is there any way I can retrieve the data?

For any help I would be really grateful.
Related:

1 response

strnnger Posts 257 Registration date Thursday May 14, 2009 Status Member Last seen September 30, 2010 32
Jul 18, 2009 at 08:33 AM
Dear Sir,

This is not a driver problem, it's a common problem when you connect the drive to an another machine,

You will have to go in Disk Management, You will see it there,

Just change the drive name for example, put it g:

Thanks
Thanks for this, but I already tried it. As no drive is allocated I cannot change it.