Creating Drop Down With the Filtered data

Closed
Nav - Jul 20, 2009 at 09:10 AM
123naveen Posts 1 Registration date Sunday July 19, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 21, 2009 - Jul 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM
Hello,

I am new to excel with regards to excel programming. I was trying to create a drop down list based on a distinct value in a particular column.Further, i need to filter the list based on the value of another column. For example:

MachineName MachineType ParentMachine
Mac1 1
Mac2 2
Mac3 1
Mac4 1
Mac5 2

In the above example, the drop down list will be applicable to ParentMachine Column. The Value in this colume will be any value from MachineName columne and of Type 2.

So with the example above, ParentMachine drop down should only contain Mac2 & Mac5 for selection.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestion.

Regards, Naveen

2 responses

Hi Nav,

Just select the cell with MachineType in it and go to Data --> Filter --> Autofilter. From the dropdown box select 2 and only mac2 and mac5 will be displayed.

Is this what you were looking for?
123naveen Posts 1 Registration date Sunday July 19, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 21, 2009
Jul 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM
Hi Trowa,

I wanted a drop down list in each cell of the ParentMachine column; with the Machine Name's of Machine type 2. The reason behind is to restrict the user from assigning Parent Machine for any row nothing other than MachineType 2. In other words, only MachineName with Machinetype 2 can be a Parent Machine to other machine.

Thanks again for your time and suggestion.

Regards,
Nave