Reinstallation CD

Closed
Devil_Boy_Jack - Jul 22, 2009 at 10:54 AM
 Dr. K - Mar 22, 2010 at 10:29 AM
Hello, I wish to Reinstall Windows XP Home Edition on My Computer (Which is a DELL).

I have located a disk called 'OPERATING SYSTEM, Already installed on your computer, Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1a'.

Is this the recovery disk for reinstalling Windows if I wish to?

How do I use it?

Does it come with a copy of Microsoft Office (This is already on my computer - Word, Excel, etc, but I understand if I reformat my hard drive it will wipe everything off of it, so everything needs replacing, yes?)??

If Office is not present on this disk, and it isn't mentioned on any of the other disks I have of a similar ilk, how do I get Office back onto my computer after reformatting and reinstallion of Windows?

Is it possible to tell the computer to put all of the parts of the Office Programs onto an external hard drive before reformatting the internal computer hard drive in order to maintain the copies of the programs already installed on the computer?
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Jul 22, 2009 at 11:13 AM
Hye there,

You will have to boot the cd on your laptop!

Go to your bios settings, press F2 when computer starts, change the boot options

set it to DVD drive

Then save and restart your computer,

Just follow the instructions, and click on repair to repair windows system
Thanks
Boot up to the reinstallation CD. You will have to hit any key to get it to finish booting up to the CD. You eventually will get two or three questions. Hit Enter to re-install the Windows XP. Do not hit "R" for repair on this screen. You will then hit F8 key when asked for it. Later you will get a screen with more options. on this one, hit "R" for repair. Do not hit "esc" which will lead out to formatting your hard drive. This will wipe out the Windows OS and re-install it, but will not wipe out the other software.
After completing reinstallation, you will have to "update" your Windows. If you have a SP3 CD downloaded, you should install this first. After that, simply do the "update" over and over until there are no more updates needed.
Note: If you are doing this, make sure you don't do anything that causes your hard drive to be formatted. You will get notice of formatting steps so you will have to approve the step for it to format.
Good Luck!