SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL MISSING OR CORRUPT

Closed
CANTSTANZYA - Jul 23, 2009 at 08:55 AM
 Simon - Jul 29, 2009 at 05:14 PM
Hello,
I am getting this SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL MISSING OR CORRUPT message, happend after attempting to in IE8. I have tried many online suggestions to remedy, using the boot cd, tried repair through recovery console, didn't work. I am not super computer savy. I know I can reinstall XP but I don't want to lose all my pictures and data. Is there a way to backup all my files (yes, I hadnt done that aas I should have) from the repair console at the cd/windows prompt?

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Jul 23, 2009 at 10:35 AM
Hello there,

to solve this problem insert the Windows XP Recovery Console

Click on start, Run , CMD

type:

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

Press Y

Remove the CD, type: Exit and press Enter

This is the way to restore the hal.dll

Thanks
Acutally in looking at your reply I should point out I get this message about the corrupt file before XP loads, so I can't use the Start, run... windows isn't up. is there a way to accomplish this through the boot disk through the the repair function/area ? c/windows command prompt?
Thanks, I will try this when I get home tonight, appreciate the quick reply.
Hi

I had the same issue after I just installed IE8, so I think IE8 has caused some issues on my XP install too. Only I was able to restart my computer a couple of times and it loaded up fine again. I had to dismiss the Hybernated backup that it had stored for me (said it was corrupt on start up), but that was about it.

Regards
Simon