Problem booting to desktop

Closed
Nuttboy Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday August 5, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2009 - Aug 6, 2009 at 10:26 AM
 Nuttboy - Aug 8, 2009 at 09:27 AM
Hi, I've posted this problem on a couple of other forums, but no real luck and i was wondering if anyone here can help (first post!). I have this strange problem with my PC which is homebuilt with all new parts about 8 months ago. I press the power switch on and the PC boots/posts until after the Microsoft progress bar as normal, and then the screen goes blank, with the monitor saying that the cable has lost signal. Now when i manually shut it down and restart, it gives me the option to boot into safe mode which it does absolutely fine, so it definitely isn't monitor related. I have tried sfc/scannow and chkdsk but all is telling me that everything is running fine. I performed a memtest when i first built the PC which showed no errors. And the only thing i changed in BIOS is the Ram speed which I lowered due to mboard requirements. I did a bootlog but that didn't show up any anomalies that I could see. Im about to try uninstalling the gfx drivers to see if that makes a difference. I have looked at some boot problems others have had, but i can't find anything similar to this that helps.

Some system info;
Quad Core
Vista Home Premium 64
x48 chipset
4gb DDR3
4870 x2 gfx

Has anyone got any other suggestions? Im a bit lost as to what is causing this as it seems that it is all actually working fine, but can't display to a usable desktop!

Many Thanks
Related:

2 responses

epsiman Posts 306 Registration date Tuesday November 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 2, 2010 162
Aug 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM
Check your rams, verify it's well plugged in...
Thx for the reply. Ive checked the RAM modules and they are well plugged in. I have also rolled back the gfx drivers but the problem is still there