Laptop won't Boot but does load in safe mode

Solved/Closed
Coolgreen44 - Aug 13, 2009 at 01:45 PM
coolgreen44 Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 13, 2009 - Aug 13, 2009 at 02:22 PM
Hello,

My laptop won't boot up. I turn it on, and it runs it goes through the start up screen it does the load windows thing (like this screenien http://www.techwarelabs.com/... except I have vista). After that point the screen just goes black/grey? and it never loads the desktop.

The computer does boot in safe mode. I can get to the desktop and all that.

This all started when I turned on my computer the other day. The startup took a while and then the computer froze on my desktop right after it loaded, so I restarted the computer and I haven't been able to get back since.

And suggestions on what to do? Any help is welcome!

OS is Windows Vista
And in simple it wont boot into the normal startup mode. I can only get it to work in safe mode.
Related:

1 response

coolgreen44 Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 13, 2009
Aug 13, 2009 at 02:22 PM
This can be closed now. Sorry for rapidly posting and saying it was solved. I figured out the issue.

I'll explain for anyone else who comes upon this.

Windows Update tonked the computer. I did a system restore a night ago and it said it worked, but I guess it didn't. I did that restore in safe mode, so I assumed it wasn't the windows update, but today I decided to try it again from the system recovery menu, and it worked this time. Now, I am assuming windows update caused this issue because that is the only thing that has been installed/downloaded/changed on the computer in the last few weeks. (I have been hardly using it).

Anyway, the restore worked this time and the computer booted right up.

Again, sorry for posting this then fixing it myself.