Can't connect all laptops to router

Closed
martes - Jul 12, 2008 at 09:41 AM
 MagicMarkie - Jul 21, 2008 at 01:31 AM
I have a bekin router, I have tried to connect my all of my 4 laptops and the desktop PC to the router. Two of the laptop are running on Vista the rest is XP. When I configure the router to my vista laptop only on of the other laptops can find the connection. The other 3 can't. Please help me. Can't understand it at all.
Related:

1 response

Martes,

Do you a unique IP address for EACH computer ? If you do not, the Router will not be able to find the PC's.

If you are not sure of the IP addresses for EACH PC, you can check them as follows.

On each PC, one at a time, go to START | RUN type cmd & click OK - a DOS window will open.

Type: IPCONFIG /ALL

(there is a SPACE between the IPCONFIG and the "/".

This will give a bunch of info. The info you are interested in is the IP Address.

It will be in four sets of numbers, seperated by periods, like XXX . XXX . XXX . XXX
They can be either 1, 2, or 3 digits. The first two groups will be 3 digits, the third group will probably be 1 digit and the fourth group will most likely be 2 digits. The IMPORTANT thing is that the FIRST, SECOND & THIRD groups for all the PC's are IDENTICAL, and the FOURTH (last, on right), ALL must be different, for all PC's.

Example:

PC(a) 190.162.1.32
PC(b) 190.162.1.33
PC(c) 190.162.1.34
PC(d) 190.162.1.35

Following the IP Address is the SubNet Mask, which should be the same for all of the PC's, and will most likely be:

Then, the Default Gateway, which would be something like 190.162.1.1, for all of your PC's.

Understand, the numbers I chose are close to the real numbers you will see, but I changed them, for reasons of security. If you give someone the REAL IP ADDRESS of you PC, you are inviting a hacker to enter your PC.

Martes, I hope this helps you with your problem, if this is in fact what is causing your problem. If not, then at least you have an understanding of what is supposed to be there. This is where you should start. There are other issues that can be causing your problem, but you need to be sure this is set properly first.

Lot's of luck. I will be happy to assist you further, if I can.

Mark