Error message : RJ45 cable is unplugged

Closed
SREEDHARRAM - Jul 16, 2008 at 12:09 PM
 MagicMarkie - Jul 21, 2008 at 12:33 AM
Hello,

I have one laptop and PC. I tried to connect them using RJ45 cable. but "the local area connection network cable is unplugged" message is shown.

1 response

SREEDHARRAM,

You mentioned that you have TWO computers and you tried to connect them.
I am assuming that you are trying to connect the two computers together, with the RJ45 cable.

You did not mention if you are also using either a Modem, a Hub, a Router, a Switch, or any other peices of hardware. If you were also using one of the items I mentioned, you could then connect EACH computer to it, using an RJ45 cable.

If you are simply trying to connect the two computers together, without any of the hardware I mentioned, then you CANNOT connect your two computers together with this RJ45 cable.

To connect two computers together, without any other hardware (mentioned above), you would need to use a special cable, called a CROSS-OVER cable. All RJ45 cables use TWO SETS of TWO WIRES. One set is the Transmit, or, Send pair, and the other is the Receive Pair.

In a CROSS-OVER cable, the Transmit Pins in the RJ45 Plug on one end, connect to the Receive Pins in the RJ45 Plug at the other end. Put more simply, the Send pair on one end of the cable is connected to the Receive pair at the other end of the cable.

Example:

Send ------------------------------------------------Receive
Receive------------------------------------------------Send

The Send pair CROSSES OVER to the Receive pair, and the Receive pair CROSSES OVER to the Send pair.
This is why they refer to it as a "CROSS-OVER" Cable.

To connect two computers together, without and additional hardware, to use both PC's as a PEER to PEER Network, and share resources, you will need to use a CROSS-OVER RJ45 Cable, instead of a STRAIGHT RJ45 Cable.

Enjoy !
Mark