Limited connectivity or say Local only

Closed
Crazier - Sep 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Sep 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM
Hello,

Am using a Hp laptop with Windows Vista SP2, my problem is with my cable internet connectivity, whenever i switch on my laptop it takes time for it to identify such connections and sumtyms its ends up saying limited connectivity or Local Only. Then When i open firefox it says page cannot be display or no internet connection. Any one with a help why is this happening?? Will it modems or juzt the server itself??
Related:

1 response

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Sep 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM
it's your pc. you need to set the right ip address. it gets a default one when it loses a connection, the default one is not within the parameters of your network.

How is your computer connected to the modem, is it straight to it, or is going thru a router?

if it's just going straight thru to modem, then what you need to do is shut it all down.
boot your modem, wait until it has initialized and reset itself.
then go to your computer an reboot.

it should then - (fingers crossed) reaquire an ip address from your modem.

give that a go.

if your connected via a router then folow the same procedure, shut all down and boot in this order.
modem, router and then pc. giving enough time for the modem and router to initialise and reset themselves.

hope that works.