Laptop with TV/No TV

Closed
Dave - Nov 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 26, 2009 at 02:41 PM
I am using a Dell Latitude D420 laptop using Windows XP.

I just purchased a VGA cord to use my 50-inch Panasonic PT50LC13 TV as an external monitor to primarily watch Hulu on my big screen TV.

Here's the problem...

If I want to use my laptop without the TV attached, I have to change the resolutions settings back to what they were prior to adjusting them. And, conversely, when I would then add the TV connection, I have to readjust the settings.

Is there a way to "tell" Windows to show one resolution when the external VGA is used and to use the default laptop setting when the laptop is used?

Also, while I have your wonderful attention (thank you if you've gotten this far), can I connect the laptop via VGA into my TV's HDMI port? Right now, it's plugged into RGB and I'm limited to a "squarish" 4:3 resolution on the TV. Would using the HDMI port enable me to get 16:9?

Thanks SOOOO much in advance.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Nov 26, 2009 at 02:41 PM
Hello, I have a D420 and a 50-inch Panasonic although I have not tried to connect the two.
The onboard video adapter of the D420 is limited to 1280X800.

Did you go to Control Panel and select the Intel GMA Driver icon?
I tried this with a wide screen monitor connected via VGA cable to my D420 and was able to see both Notebook and external monitors and was able to set up both screens independently. Click on the Aspect Ratio Options button and play with the Maintain Aspect Ratio and Full Screen selections. I was able to get a full screen display with black bands at the top and bottom.

If you have a pa-10 or pa-13 charger you can buy a PR01X dock which has a DVI output port. The 65 watt PA-12 adapter will not power the dock and the laptop at the same time. You can then buy a cable with DVI at one end and HDMI plug at the other end. This might get you a better picture.

Another option is the D/Dock which has a built in power supply and a DVI output port. It also has a slot for your DVD drive and you can add a 1/2 height PCI (not PCI-E) video card internally. There are a few PCI video cards under $50 that will output up to 1920x1200. But, most will not have a HDMI port, only a DVI port.

Still another option is to buy a PR09S Media base that has a DVI output port. It also requires a PA-10 Or PA-13 power adapter.

All the above are available via Ebay.

Good Luck