Unable to uninstall AVG Anti-Virus free 8.0

Solved/Closed
John Swift - Sep 1, 2008 at 12:45 PM
 Lyn - Nov 15, 2012 at 09:10 PM
Hello, so I just installed this new AVG Anti-Virus free edition 8.0 thinking it would actually work.
Well, after I installed it I then did the scan and everything seemed to go smoothly. Then, after about a minute a pop-up says WARNING there is an attack on your computer. At first, I tried the activate now (block attack), but apparently you need to buy the damn thing, which apparently led me to a screen with no way to exit out, so I was forced to reboot my comp. The next time I got the message I clicked the other option which was to continue unprotected. about a minute later the samne message appears again and again. I try to uninstall it by going to the add/remove programs but it's not even there. Next, I try installing a new one and then uninstalling it, however, that only uninstalled the new one. How the heck do I get rid of this pesky thing?
Related:

30 responses

first u should click the START button..and go to the RUN....and type REGEDIT in small letter..the a folder wil be open...the left side of that folder u can see hds key n users key like that...maximize that + signs n u can c software there..click on that software n u can see avg 8 there...u can delete avg from there.n check all hs keys n software there n delete avg frm there...after that u can install new antivirus....
thanks this worked GRRRR-EAT!!!!
Thanks so much..that did the job for me...
Thank You Nasir...You saved me about $40.00 for a software download to accomplish the same
Thank You Nasir...You saved me about $40.00 for a software download to accomplish the same
Cheers Nazir, your solution seemed to work and AVG ias no more!
omg finally avg its gone thx alot
HOW DID YOU DO IT. STEP BY STEP PLEASE.
Thank you so much! That worked perfectly!
My avg 8.0 worked great for a while, then I started getting the error messages. I could not reinstall nor uninstall nothing worked until I read your message which worked beautifully. Thank you so very much I am finally rid of this problem. Thanks.
shwetha > Lady C
Apr 8, 2009 at 09:31 AM
how did u uninstall pls tell me at shwethanayaka@gmail.com
godsonhod Posts 2 Registration date Monday May 25, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 26, 2009 > shwetha
May 26, 2009 at 08:30 AM
i want to unistal my avg 8.0 but I cant because its corrupted. I need help
really thank u dear..... now really free from AVG 8.... I did uninstall successfully.....
your link made big deal to me....
thanks a lot buddy ....
thank u this finaly worked for me=P

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
how will I remove Avg anti virus from my pc. I uninstall it but if want to install another anti virus it keep telling me I need to remve Avg first,and I have done that
Hello, so I just installed this new AVG Anti-Virus free edition 8.0 thinking it would actually work.
Well, after I installed it I then did the scan and everything seemed to go smoothly. Then, after about a minute a pop-up says WARNING there is an attack on your computer. At first, I tried the activate now (block attack), but apparently you need to buy the damn thing, which apparently led me to a screen with no way to exit out, so I was forced to reboot my comp. The next time I got the message I clicked the other option which was to continue unprotected. about a minute later the samne message appears again and again. I try to uninstall it by going to the add/remove programs but it's not even there. Next, I try installing a new one and then uninstalling it, however, that only uninstalled the new one. How the heck do I get rid of this pesky thing?
brakers Posts 117 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2009 40
Sep 1, 2008 at 04:13 PM
Hi There
I dont know much about Vista but cant you do a system restore. if that wont work I think you might of been hit by a virus maskarading as a AVG program???
Kindest Regards Tony B.
i have a probalem my computer everytime I open my ym friendster stooped my connection I dont know why.
hi you can go to download.com and get AVG for free,if you have and USB memory you can download a antivirus portable,that may work.
i tryto install new kaspersky full option but they show me a avg file is not removed from my system but I didnot get that file at my laptop .How can I do now no anti virus in my system
I'm having the same problem. I cannot install kaspersky because my computer says I have avg installed but when I go into control panel to uninstall the program, avg is not there. so im pretty much working with an invisible problem here.
John > Blackmamba
Apr 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM
Everyone on this thread is nuts!!!
I have been using AVG Free since Win98, to WinXP, to Vista (piece of c**p OS, but that's another story!).
AVG Free works great on every Win version. Better than semantic, McAfee, and other pay A/Vs.
ASHRAF > John
Apr 25, 2009 at 03:23 AM
Hi,

The regeidt thing really worked out.
thank you for the funda.
AVG firewall screwed up my network settings. Everything was working fine until I starting using AVG firewall. Maybe I did something wrong but I'm a well-experinced PC user and even AVG was difficult for me to use.
hi,
am facing the same problem,,, how were you able to solve it ? I cant find the AVG ,and I cant download Kaspersky !!

help
Hi, I had the same problem - I ran the AVG uninstaller tool from their website but it didn't fully uninstall the product. I followed the instructions that EdinWV provided on this website and IT WORKED PERFECTLY! Thanks! I am re-copying the instructions here:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
EdinWV Feb 14, 2009 7:24pm GMT
If the removal tool doesn't work (I could not get it to work on a friend's PC running XP recently) here is an (almost) foolproof way of removing AVG:

download and install CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) This is a free and very effective cleaner (you can contribute later if you feel so moved, but the program is fully operational in its downloaded form -- and I have no interest whatsoever in this program.)

run the reg cleaner -- I have been using this thing for months and it has never caused me any difficulty whatsoever.

reinstall AVG.

Go to tools on CCleaner and run uninstall AVG. Works like a charm and removes all vestiges of AVG from your PC.

Good luck and a pox on AVG's house!
Jeffrey 09 Posts 2 Registration date Monday June 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 16, 2009
Jun 16, 2009 at 03:16 PM
Heres my two cents worth about uninstalling AVG. First off I would recommend that anyone thinking about installing it....DONT. It has caused me so many problems.

First off...I would not recommend trying to delete it from the registry unless you are an experienced PC user that is familair with how the registry works. If you try and delete it from the registry,and dont know what you are doing ,you might cause more problems for yourself.

I would recommend this -- https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?urlname=How-to-uninstall-AVG

This program works,but dont mess with the registry if you are going to use it. If you try and delete it from the registry and dont do it right,,the program wont work.

If that happens to you....Download and run Tune Up Utilities 2008...go to "maintain windows" then look for Tune Up registry cleaner and click below it "correct registry errors.

Tune Up Utilities is not free, but it is well worth the money to get rid of AVG and to use whenever your PC isnt running properly.
that worked! thank-you
but I haven't pls advise me
That worked for me as well.
Thanks for the help!
thanks a million. it finally worked
If the removal tool doesn't work (I could not get it to work on a friend's PC running XP recently) here is an (almost) foolproof way of removing AVG:

download and install CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) This is a free and very effective cleaner (you can contribute later if you feel so moved, but the program is fully operational in its downloaded form -- and I have no interest whatsoever in this program.)

run the reg cleaner -- I have been using this thing for months and it has never caused me any difficulty whatsoever.

reinstall AVG.

Go to tools on CCleaner and run uninstall AVG. Works like a charm and removes all vestiges of AVG from your PC.

Good luck and a pox on AVG's house!
CCleaner didn't work for me, I've tried them all and everything else and AVG still exists on my system! Is there anyone who really knows what their doing? I'd normally be able to solve most problems I run into but removing AVG completely is something else! That's why it's FREE I guess!
Unable to uninstall AVG Anti-Virus free 8.0 in add& remove also...........
You may read this page. It has the total solution steps. I think this is the best solution:

http://set123.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-to-remove-or-uninstall-avg.html
hello, after removed the avg 8 in my pc, I the try to install the new antivirus that I just bought..and suddenly after follow all the instruction,a notice appeared and told me that the avg 8 still in my pc and I have to remove it but when I checked it on the control panel it show me that the avg 8 is not in programme anymore.how to uninstall this???
Nature_doc > xtraTiny
May 2, 2009 at 12:56 AM
Thank you...I was finally able to instal Kapersky 2009 as it wouldn't let me saying I still had AVG 8, even after I thought I had removed it. Thank you.
i can't remove avg anti virus. please teel me. what should I do?
skycap > niessal
Sep 22, 2009 at 05:48 PM
Unable to uninstall AVG 8. Using Windows CP SP3.

Thanks.

John
peice of S %^& didnt work for me I still have the troublesome AVG crap on my computer
this is definetly not the avg yu downloaded. it couldnt be! I have the avg free edition, (actually just upgraded to full version) and it does not provide protection from hacker attacks! or atleast the free version. you probably still have some sort of other rogue software on your pc. avg free does not have those kind of protection,if you do want that protection, download avg internet security using this license code 8I3-NFRG0-QACG3-E64FA-99VNF-6R8U6-ACED that is my license code. you can use it though.
hi...
removed AVG FREE 8.0 FROM REGISTRY after getting tried of its REPEATED uninstallation FAILURE .It is essentially requiered as I am facing problem after taking restore(RECOVERY) set up of my pc files.MS Office document is not opening AFTERWARDS DUE TO security option.Office document help is showing your file is not opening due to security reason .Your anti virus either old etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,\
pls help ......I dont have any back up of office doc...............

AB
Hi,
I have been unable to open attachments or download any files for some time, some suggestions was download AVGremover from the AVG site . Luckily I have an old computer so I downloaded AVGRemover on to that put it on stick and used on my new VISTA . This worked perfectly so far .
Best of luck
JW
epsiman Posts 306 Registration date Tuesday November 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 2, 2010 162
Jan 20, 2010 at 04:39 PM
Hey there,
I assure you that this is surely a virus attack and it would be safer to download a new anti virus and do a complete scan .Here is a good tip, try the eset nod 32 antivirus, you wont regret it ;-)
kristain Posts 69 Registration date Friday March 12, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2011 20
Jun 2, 2010 at 02:20 AM
Start>Run>type in msconfig>Start Up Tab- uncheck anything related to AVG>Restart computer and try uninstall again
or Download, Avg Remover tool