Can't install any operating system

Closed
jtcorbeil - Dec 13, 2009 at 02:24 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Dec 13, 2009 at 07:57 PM
Hello,

I am recently working on a computer for a friend and have never been stumped before when it comes to computer repair. I am working on a Toshiba Satellite notebook 3 months old running athlon x2 64. Loaded with vista home premium. There were many problems with the computer including crashing so she suggested to just wipe the hard drive clean and install windows 7 as an upgrade. So I did, first I paritioned, erasing everything off the hard drive to wipe it clean of all the crap on it. The i tired the install and everytime an error always came up half way through the installation, the computer is compatible for windows 7, dont know why it rejected it. So i tried vista enterprise which I have. Same problem, different error, half way through installation everytime. So I did the same with trying XP on the system and the same thing happened. With xp it says im missing a file on the installation disk to continue, but I have used this disk many times to install xp, no problems before, none of the disks are scratched and they all work on other computers. What can I do???? I need this fixed asap. What can this be? any help pleeeeaaaassssse!!!!!
Related:

2 responses

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Dec 13, 2009 at 07:57 PM
as the computer is 3 months old i am going to assume that the hard drive is a sata drive.
You need to install the sata drivers for your drive during the setup stage of installation (f6) for this you are going to need a fdd. Usb fdd to install the file from Floppy.

Or, there may be a bios setting for the sata drive that you need to change to fool the software into seeing an IDE drive.

What model Toshiba is the computer?
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Dec 13, 2009 at 07:57 PM
as the computer is 3 months old i am going to assume that the hard drive is a sata drive.
You need to install the sata drivers for your drive during the setup stage of installation (f6) for this you are going to need a fdd. Usb fdd to install the file from Floppy.

Or, there may be a bios setting for the sata drive that you need to change to fool the software into seeing an IDE drive.

What model Toshiba is the computer?