Changing fom dial up to Lan on ME

Closed
barb - Sep 4, 2008 at 08:34 PM
tapemask Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday September 2, 2008 Status Member Last seen April 1, 2009 - Sep 5, 2008 at 04:30 AM
Hello,
I recently purchased a CNet wireless-g usb dongle (adaptor) to connect to the computer in my son's room that runs on Windows ME, so he could wirelessly get on the internet in his room. I had previously used a dial up connection with this computer, and I cannot change over the connectivity for some reason. I have gone in and tried to set it up using LAN as opposed to dial up (using the internet connection wizard), and it just reverts back to dial up for the connection. I followed the instructions for the set up on the wireless usb adaptor, have reset my modem and my router by unplugging them for at least 2 minutes, and have restarted the computer so many times I think it might just start restarting itself (lol)!
The computer is an E-machines, and it does meet all of the necessary specifications to use the adaptorl
I have a netgear wireless router, which works fine with my laptop, and before I purchased the adaptor I read reviews from someone that had a netgear router also and it worked with the adaptor. From what I can tell, the issue seems to be with the connectivity on the computer, and obviously I am not doing something right.
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
Related:

1 response

tapemask Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday September 2, 2008 Status Member Last seen April 1, 2009 1
Sep 5, 2008 at 04:30 AM
have you checked whether the new wifi adapter is compatible with this version of windows you have on your son's pc?

also here is a link where you can get many tips about networking :

www.networkingtips.org