Uninstalling UBUNTU [Solved/Closed]

- - Latest reply:  E-Quillizer - Feb 13, 2010 at 01:52 AM
Hello,
I've just bought a Dell 500 with UBUNTU preinstalled. I cannot get used to this OS and I plan to exchange it for Windows. Can anybody tell me how to ununstall the UBUNTU? Will be grateful.
See more 

9 replies

Best answer
Registration date
Tuesday December 4, 2007
Status
Contributor
Last seen
October 27, 2015
Thank you
You can of course have Ubuntu and Window$ on the same PC, it's called a "dual-boot". In this case, you have to install first windows and then Ubuntu (because windows erase the master boot record !).

You have 2 possibilities :

1) You prepare a virgin partition before your installation of windows.
2) You install windows on all the hard drive and then Ubuntu will offer you the possibilitie to resize the main partition.

When you'll install Ubuntu, it will install Grub, which is a bootloader. Then when you start your computer, you'll have the choice between the differents OS installed on it.

Friendly,

Franz.

Say "Thank you" 6

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 5744 users have said thank you to us this month

Thank you
another option, for the sake of anyone else looking at this thread, is to run a program like VirtualBox to emulate the other operating systems. However, this requires more processor speed and RAM but it is still possible and you don't have to worry about reconfiguring GRUB. Here is a link

http://www.virtualbox.org/
Registration date
Tuesday December 4, 2007
Status
Contributor
Last seen
October 27, 2015
Thank you
You don't have to "uninstall" Ubuntu, it's an OS. Just install winbeurk over the existing OS (on the same partition).

Friendly.

PS : sorry for my english.
Thank you
The answer lies in BIOS. Enter BIOS (F2 at start up for me) and change the boot order to an "advanced" boot. This over-rides the Ubuntu start-up. Then, delete all the partitions and install whatever! :-)
Registration date
Friday September 5, 2008
Status
Last seen
September 7, 2008
Thank you
Hi,
Dear Franzux,
Your advice re Ubuntu "uninstallation" is highly appreciated.
I just had an idea: Suppose I wanted to keep Ubuntu and Windows loaded in the same PC (120 Gb of hard disc). Would that be possible? And how?
P.S. Your English is great.
Very friendly,
Cronatex
Registration date
Tuesday December 4, 2007
Status
Contributor
Last seen
October 27, 2015
Thank you
If you install windows after Ubuntu, it'll leave your Ubuntu intact but you'll probably have to reinstall grub because windows will erase it.

Friendly,

Franz.
Registration date
Friday September 5, 2008
Status
Last seen
September 7, 2008
Thank you
Thanks a lot, Franz.
I'll have it in mind re Grub. I'l keep you posted on the result.
Best rgrds,
Cronatex
Hi Mate

Similar story really, purchased DELL pre installed with Ubuntu and now want to get rid.
Question to anyone out there: Is it poss to uninstall and how. Secondly, bought an XP Home OEM but it says I need to use an OPK. Is it correct because I`ve heard some say you dont to buy an OPK, just install.
Any comments/advice would really appreciated

Thanks
Registration date
Wednesday February 20, 2008
Status
Last seen
February 7, 2009
Thank you
hi Cronatex,
Franzux is right thats how its done dear
Thank you
hy. i just bought a dell 500 and i installed windows xp, and now i need some drivers for the audio card and network adapter... thanks in advance:)