Return data from one spreadsheet to another

Closed
JRW32 - Jan 14, 2010 at 12:22 PM
 JRW32 - Jan 14, 2010 at 01:31 PM
Hello,

I have a workbook with 3 spreadsheets. Spreadsheet 1 is for data entry. The spreadsheet has 3 columns, Description, Income, Expenses.

On spread sheet 2, I need to bring in ONLY the income and description from Spreadsheet 1.

In spreadsheet 1, income and expenses can be on any row. So row 1 and 2 may have income, row 3-6 may have expense and finally row 7 may have income.

How to get the data repeated on spreadsheet 2 from lines 1,2 and 7 without the blank lines?

thank you

4 responses

tompols Posts 1273 Registration date Wednesday July 28, 2004 Status Contributor Last seen November 25, 2013 28
Jan 14, 2010 at 12:35 PM
Hello,
just to be sure : are descriptions identical on rows you want to "group" ? are there multiples rows with identical desc and mulitple income(or expense) => in this case do you want to sum column values ?
You could use a pivot table for that...
No I don't want to sum anything. This is so hard to explain. But I will try to give better detail. I am building what for no better description is a one write accounting workbook. The end user is a man that has no clue how to run Excel and NO TIME to learn. Yet there are specific reports he must generate for our organization.

He will on one spreadsheet list deposits - with descriptions and checks written - with descriptions. This will be in the order they happened.

I need to produce an income list so to speak. (and expense as well - separately). But I need to list the detail - not sum (although I will sum at the bottom of the income listing). So let's say we have:

Catalog Income - $100.00
Tent Expense - $<500.00>
Grounds Expense - <$250.00>
Catalog Income - $200.00
Video Income - $300.00
Trophy Income - $150.00
and so on.......

This would be on the sheet he does his entry and by the way reconciles to the bank (this I have figured out how to do). I also have it summing and doing an Income Statement.

What I need now is a Income listing and an Expense listing that would take the above and produce the following:

Income Listing:
Catalog Income - $100.00
Catalog Income - $200.00
Video Income - $300.00
Trophy Income - $150.00

Expense Listing:
Tent Expense - $<500.00>
Grounds Expense - <$250.00>

I know how to get it to test for various descriptions - like test for the word Income. I should also say, the descriptions are in the same column but the amounts are in separate columns.

Thanks!
tompols Posts 1273 Registration date Wednesday July 28, 2004 Status Contributor Last seen November 25, 2013 28
Jan 14, 2010 at 01:24 PM
Ok,
simplest to do this would be some vba code (we could also use some very complex formulas using matrixes), is this ok for you ?
Humm. Not sure my last reply went through.

Yes I can handle vba, even though I am no expert. I can follow.

I also wanted to say, in case it matters, the descriptions on his input sheet are from a drop down menu. So there will be no issues with misspelling or the like.

He has 22 income categories and 56 expense categories to choose from.