Use Ubuntu to Recover Files From Hard Drive

Closed
S_Walker - Jan 16, 2010 at 05:17 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 16, 2010 at 09:05 PM
I have recently bought a new computer (Dell Inspiron something) with Windows 7, however it does not recognise my WD MyBook Essential External Hard Drive. It is recognised under the Disk Management section however it states "Initialise Disk", this would mean formatting the disk an losing all my data and hence don't want to go through with it at this stage. I have tried plugging it into various other computers with XP and this recognises the drive also but again it does not allow access not does it allow that ability to assign a drive letter.

I have trawled around various forums and the hard drive does not appear to be making the dreaded clicking noise that people talk about inferring that i think its still running fine, no dodgy colours round the green ring or anything.

My old computer is also a dell inspiron however that crapped out on me a couple of months back now, i have tried booting ubuntu up with it and it works, however this also does not allow me access to the drive. It does tho recognise it, but doesn't let you "mount" the drive. I've heard that Ubuntu (lynx?) can be used to recover files but in this instance im not sure how to do it. I have a spare WD MyPassport primed ready to copy the files over onto should it finnally be recognised.

Please note that i am not very seasoned in the way of computer jargon so please go easy..

Please can anybody help, my life in music an pictures is on that half drive with only half backed up.....

Many thanks,

Sam
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Jan 16, 2010 at 09:05 PM
You can follow these instructions:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2180742_manually-mount-drive-linux.html

Good Luck