WD Caviar SE SATA HDD Wont Boot to XP

Closed
jnathan Posts 1 Registration date Thursday January 14, 2010 Status Member Last seen January 15, 2010 - Jan 15, 2010 at 03:15 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 17, 2010 at 03:44 PM
Hello Guys

I am so Sad with my WD Caviar SE SATA HDD.
It just ran fine until today morning when the PC wouldnt boot to XP.
POST went fine, so did the loading thing of Windows LOGO.
After that the PC keeps on restarting and halted on POST.

I only saw a message that HDD S.M.A.R.T is bad, Backup and Replace.
But only once I could get into XP and started copying some files, and the PC restarted - it keeps on doing this.

I ran the WD diag tool and it sees all the files within that 250 GB C:\ only HDD partition.

So How to copy those files to Another HDD???
Or, Any way to Reinstate the Partition?
Related:

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 15, 2010 at 08:00 PM
If the SMART system tells you the drive is bad there is little chance the you can access the files. It's time to replace the drive and re-install Windows. You might be able to use the drive as a secondary drive and be able to salvage some of the data. Sorry for the bad news.
Its time to be replaced I know that.
But I wanna know how to recover the data from this ailing drive. There is no sound so, physically it seems in better state than other sound making drives with ba sectors. The drive wont even let the primary drive to boot to XP Desktop. so you know how bad the situation is.

Once I had the same typa problem and i hooked this drive as slave with a Mastr drive and Norton System Works reinstated the broken partition. But now I dont have the hold of that software. Anyone else with any other suggestion?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 16, 2010 at 01:15 PM
I got Partition magic but I think PM needs the HDD to be at least appeared on XP to do some repair on it.
but the HDD wont even go anything beyonf the XP logo animation. the PC restarts !
Jan 17, 2010 at 03:44 PM
This sounds like a logic board problem - some people have transferred the circuit board from another drive and been able to read the data from the broken drive. The problem is in finding an exact matching drive.