Outlook issue with HTML form

Solved/Closed
Steven75 - Feb 1, 2008 at 04:16 AM
 Makuto9 - Aug 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM
Hello,

I have a small website with a very simple HTML form that allows user to send his data; then the webmaster receives an email with the data included in the form.

My problem is that, when ever Outlook is set up on a machine, the email button open Outlook automatically.

Is there a way to just have the form send without opening Outlook ?

Thx.
Related:

14 responses

Cameron Smith
Sep 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM
Yes, I have fixed this problem as well using PHP. It was very simple, all you have to do is store the names of the fields, send the form to another page (EX: mail.php) then use the following code:

<?php
$firstname = $_POST['FirstName'];
$lastname = $_POST['LastName'];
$age = $_POST['Age'];
$email = $_POST['EMAIL'];

$message .= "First name: \n";
$message .= $firstname;
$message .= "\n";
$message .= "Last name: \n";
$message .= $lastname;
$message .= "\n";
$message .= "Age: \n";
$message .= $age;

mail("youremail@email.com", "Subject: subject", $message, "From: $email");
Header("Location: index.html");
?>
i got the same problem too can you help me please... I have a form and I can't make it to send me a mail
Can you convert it to html?
I tried this but the messages didn't have anything in the fields (name, email and message). Is there a special way to forward variables from a html file to a php file?
how do I send the form to another page?
I'm using a very simple mailto: webform at work and everyone has Outlook open anyway, but rather than just send the form data, some people are having a blank e-mail opened up with nothing more than my e-mail address in the To line. Outlook 2007 settings are all the same across the company (set by procedures when people log in) so I can't figure out why some people have issues and the rest are fine. Any ideas?
I am very very very very very new to HTML I would like to learn how to send forms to e-mails but I dont want Outlook to come up and ask them if they want to send it. I just want it sent to my e-mail!
I am very very very very very new to HTML I would like to learn how to send forms to e-mails but I dont want Outlook to come up and ask them if they want to send it. I just want it sent to my e-mail!

Hi Dude,
Did you ever figure out how to submit the form without outlook asking them if they will allow an email to be sent? I am trying to figure out how to do this now.

Thanks

Claire
Htmlgirl Posts 12 Registration date Thursday February 21, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 1, 2008 2
Feb 22, 2008 at 05:36 AM
Hi, can you be more specific about the problem please?

From what I can see, you have a form which allows every user to send an email to the webmaster. Basically, the form must have a process page like php to send the data to the email address of the webmaster. I don't understand why it will open outlook express. Outlook express opens only when you are using the mailto: command, also, the user must have outlook installed if you want it to open.

Paste your code, i'll try to fix it for you :D

Regards,
Your html girl (",)
hi i'm a programmer n i'm looking for someone to discuss some issues with
Ameen ASP.Net Boy
Apr 22, 2009 at 01:16 PM
It opens outlook for me. I would like to send the email without disturbing the outlook.. as u said may be php script or ASP script... am not sure how it works in HTML can you please help me with that.

<html>
<body>
<form action="MAILTO:ameen544@gmail.com" method="post" enctype="text/plain">

<h3>This form sends an e-mail to W3Schools.</h3>
Name:<br>
<input type="text" name="name"
value="yourname" size="20">
<br>
Mail:<br>
<input type="text" name="mail"
value="yourmail" size="20">
<br>
Comment:<br>
<input type="text" name="comment"
value="yourcomment" size="40">
<br><br>
<input type="submit" value="Send">
<input type="reset" value="Reset">

</form>
</body>
</html>

Thanks!
AMeen

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
The problem is that you need a server to host a CGI Program to send. I am currently working on a project (www.starsforcollege.com) that will be up in a few days that uses an extensive HTML Form. I used the CGI Progam that came with the host (BlueHost - they are fantastic) and it worked seamlessly. The response you get in your inbox is a bit messy, but thats what diligent webmasters are for (plus it's a good way to keep some small but steady money coming in.)
Hi,

I need to send an email through access to 4 persons reg their amount settlement.I need to specify the Emp id and Amount in the form sent through an email using access.

How do I show the data(emp id and amount) which is stored in the database in the email form sent through Access.

Please help.
BUMP
Cameron Smith
Sep 23, 2008 at 10:24 PM
Well, I may not know the Outlook Express issue, but I do know why your e-mail is blank. Let me show you an example...

<html>
<head>
<title> My Simple Form </title>
</head>

<body>
<form action="mailto:youraddress@yourdomain.com" method="POST" enctype="text/plain">
Username: <input type="text" size="12" maxlength="12" name="UserName"> <br />
Password: <input type="password" size="12" maxlength="12" name="PassWord"> <br />
</form>
</body>
</html>

The above example shows how to send an e-mail with data entered into it, but I do not understand why it opens Outlook Express. Make sure you inclue method="POST" when you call a form.
I dont care if the email is blank, I just need to know how to create it without opening the Outlook Express...............
htmlcodeslady
Jun 24, 2010 at 01:42 PM
IF you didnt figure it out in order to creat a form without opening outlook your form action must be changed to look for your php file you created.

ex: <form action="mail.php"
I am ok with the form opening in outlook. My problem is with Vista and Outlook the form opens as an empty page. what's up with that?
Karen
I am now having the same issue. Same form, used to open an email containing all the information enterd in the form, now it opens a blank e-mail without the information. HELP!
Be sure to use the "POST" notation:
<FORM action="mailto:youremail?Subject=Whatever" method="POST" enctype="text/plain">
That made the field information appear in the email for me, at least.

BTW, I have still not figured out how to make this work when the generic user is using web-based mail.

--Vic
when I wrote a email address on HTML code page then user lick on the Emailaddress then open outlook express. how can it possible tel me
Hmm .. If you want a server u can use the www.emailmeform.com/
if u already done u can edit it just click your emailmeform address then right click find viewsource then edit some html codes in your notepad.

After you edit/added some codes copy all the codes then put it in your website.
I mean find viewsource then edit some html codes in your notepad*
I too have the same problem as I use the mailto: method
Did you ever get this problem fixed? I'm having the same issue.
the mailto:<address> is a mail link. not a submission routine for a form. typically, this would be in a link, not a form element. I'm surprised the above example did anything at all.

To send email using a form you will need to have some script on the page, either in the page as javascript or as a server side language to process the posted data. look up php or asp if you want to do it yourself, but its more likely whatever package you have installed for a website will have the ability to deal with it.
The mailto: action is valid for a form - although unreliable - if you think it isnt you need to read the html specs again. However, the specs dont define what a non-http uri should do it is up to the user-agent which is why its unreliable.