Help me fix my pc

Closed
april - Sep 19, 2008 at 12:46 PM
 Crall - Sep 22, 2008 at 01:49 PM
Hello,

well I'm not computer smart at all so I decided to come here and hope all you computer wiz's can help me out some. The thing is my computer is very very slow...it has xp as an operating system...someone told me I need to reformat it??? Problem is I have no disc's that came with my computer? So I was wondering if anyone on here could point me in the right direction about fixing this problem? Any info on how to do it myself would be awesome!!!

I also have another stupid question...is it possible to use vista system recovery disc's on xp?? lol Told you I'm totally clueless!

Thanks everyone.
Related:

3 responses

Sorry I can not help you with where exactly to get an XP CD. However in my quest to do the same thing previously I found out that if xp came on the computer when you bought it, then it's most likely an OEM version. Which means it's a special copy that was mass purchased by the vendor (ex. Dell, HP, etc). and a lot of time's you'll need that flavot of cd. So if you have an HP, try contacting HP.

There is always the option of using a torrent software, however dong that sort of thing is not always trustworthy, you're at the wrath of whoever posted it.

Second question's answer is a no. You'll need an XP cd. you'll also need the correct version ex. "XP Home" or "XP Pro"
Sorry I can not help you with where exactly to get an XP CD. However in my quest to do the same thing previously I found out that if xp came on the computer when you bought it, then it's most likely an OEM version. Which means it's a special copy that was mass purchased by the vendor (ex. Dell, HP, etc). and a lot of time's you'll need that flavot of cd. So if you have an HP, try contacting HP.

There is always the option of using a torrent software, however dong that sort of thing is not always trustworthy, you're at the wrath of whoever posted it.

Second question's answer is a no. You'll need an XP cd. you'll also need the correct version ex. "XP Home" or "XP Pro"
Sorry I forgot to answer the main part of the question as to how to speed it up. There is a lot that can slow a computer down. Primarily it's because of what you have running on it. Try going into your "add/remove programs" (Start > controlpanel > add/remove programs) and uninstall any unecessary software. However you have to be careful when doing this, uninstalling some software can be unwise. If you don't know what the software is try using google to look it up. you might be surprised how much junk is installed that wasn't meant to be installed.