Transferring data from one excel to another

Closed
Robin - Jan 28, 2010 at 09:44 AM
 excelnovice - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Hello,
I am trying to transfer an array of data from several spreadsheets used by individuals to a "master" spreadsheet that will be stored on a shared drive. How do I transfer the data from an open excel spreadsheet to the closed spreadsheet that is on the shared drive.

I am trying to gather data from multiple people using the spreadsheet on their hard drives, to this "master" excel sheet that will reside on a shared drive.

I am not a programmer so need some basic instructions!

Right now I was able to create macro that is moving the data from one spreadsheet to the other, but it opens the spreadsheet the data is being transferred to. The master spreadsheet will not be accessible to each individual transferring the data so this code will not work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

2 responses

If master is not going to be available to individuals whose data you would be importing into master, I think one option that you can employ is have those individual dump data to a shared area/drive as CSV files. The master file can be coded on open to import all those csv files. You can have it programmed so that it goes thru every csv file and import the data and remove the csv once done. Only catch in this case would be to have a naming convention for csv files so that individual A does not over write individual B csv file.
how do you code the master file?
MS Office 2008 have options to do this easily..