HOW TO INSTALL AN IDE HARD DRIVE

Closed
BRIAN - Sep 24, 2008 at 11:16 AM
 Mr D - Nov 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM
Hello, I have a 40gb master and a 12 gb slave ide drives. I bought a new 160gb ide drive to install as master.
I set the pin for master with slave and tried to boot up. The bios recognises the make of drive but stops booting after only recognising part of the drive details i.e. LBA,MODE4,
My BIOS is set to AUTO in the hard drive recognition feature.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Brian
Related:

2 responses

The most difficult problem with installing a new and clean drive is that there are differences in BIOS and jumpers on the drive. First remove both of your harddrives from the system. Next install the new drive, set jumpers to MASTER, if there is a jumper position MASTER/SLAVE or MASTER/SINGLE use them only if there is no MASTER. I suggest that at this time acquire PARTED MAGIC LiveCD 3.0 (available from this site). BOOT the live CD derived from the ICO file. You will be able to Partition and Format the drive for any OS. Install the OS of your choice, then if desired, re-install the Slave of your choice. Insure that you have Jumpered both drives, if in doubt, check the jumpers again. You should fine that the Motherboard has recognized both. At this time, you should be able to do a complete OS install without problems. As an additional piece of information, Drive manufacturers DO NOT HAVE THE SAME JUMPERS ON ALL OF THEIR DRIVES for the same purpose. Check the label on the drive, DON'T GUESS.
Thanks for your trouble in replying William, I took my pc in for maintenance and learnt that my bios was apparently so old it does not recognise a 160gb hard disk. So, tomorrow I will be buying an AMD dual core 6000+
I got the system to boot from the CD, but after going though windows setup and loading the file the system will ask to select set up windows xp by pressing enter, repair windows by pressing R or quit setup by pressing F3. when i press enter i get this " sorry did not find any hard disk installed in your computre. make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. this may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.?
then it asks me to press F3 to quit

not to mention i have everything connected and the power supply and everything correct. i do not know what to do.